When breastfeeding, is it okay to only have the baby to feed on one breast at each feeding and alternate with later feedings?

Kennedysmom210

Asked by Kennedysmom210 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely! I had to do that with my daughter. she wasnt a big eater and I wanted to make sure to drain one side completely at least! so she always fed off one side each feeding. If you split the time and have her feed from both without completely draining them it will reduce your milk supply. You have the advantage that if you want to pump you can do that on the other side when the baby is done feeding on one side. so its fine! youre not doing anything wrong!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would feed on both sides. That is what I have always done. You need to make sure the baby is getting enough.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its what I do, he eats 10 minutes on the right one feeding 10 minutes on the left the next feeding. If hes latched and eating im not going to pull him off and piss him off. If your boob is to full just pump a little off the top.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I always just fed off one breast for each feeding. My LC always told me to do one per feeding. she said it produced a better supply.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't unlatch a baby for them to feed on the other side, because they won't get as much hindmilk as if you just leave them on that side. They never suck as thoroughly on the second side because they aren't as hungry. I would try and offer the other breast though once your little one is done on the one side to see if he/she wants it. If not then they're getting plenty on the one side.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Everything I've read and been told my LC's is that you should actually do that, because that way you know they're getting the hindmilk.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its fine, if its what the baby wants.

General nursing rule: nurse baby on first breast until they stop and come off on their own. Offer second breast. If the baby takes it, fine. If the baby refuses it, fine as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I was told by LC and it's what I have always done but she usually just eats off of one side only becuase shes done after that. I produce enough that it fills her up I guess. I offer her the other side but she usually doesn't want it. After she stops and burps shes usually done.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• That's what I did.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009