What makes a 10 year old boy committ suicide?

Just caught it on my local news. A little boy in Evanston, Illinois committed suicide by hanging himself in the bathroom at school. I have a hard time trying to understand this. Rumor has it that he was being bullied by 2 older students.

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 10:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Bullies can be a factor. I mean things get to some kids and they get so depressed they don't know what to do. It is sad but it happens.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 10:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• i just saw that on the news too! i couldnt believe it! that makes me so sad, and so terrified!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• OMG.. Thats so sad. Kids can be so mean.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Honestly I have no idea. Its scary what is in kids heads these days. I heard about this story too.. Its so sad.
    NicsMommy29

Answer by NicsMommy29 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I can understand it. I was bullied mercilessly in grade school/jr.high. Thank God I had a mother who made me feel like the best thing on earth or I may have not made it through. A kid that age only knows he/she is suffering and wants it to stop. How heartbreaking!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't know this case, but many times lately kids die playing the "choking game" and it is misunderstood as suicide.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I heard about that yesterday, but they hadn't come to a conclusion as to why/how it was done. That's so sad to hear that they suspect suicide.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Bulling is a huge factor. I saw on Dr Phil a couple yrs back of a kid who was constantly bullied and the school did nothing and even the asst principal bullied him . He decided it wasnt worth it and took his life. It started in grade school and he took his life at age 12. My older son got bullied alot and I would talk to him and tell him its ok to tell someone. No one should have to go through that alone!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I could absolutely see it happening from bullying. I was bullied in school and it was horrible. Thankfully I had my adopted mom to see me through it. But if there's bullying, plus maybe he didn't have support at home or something (I don't know the story, so I'm just saying it's possible) I could see it happening. Very very sad. That poor boy.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Kids can be horrible, horrible little creatures to each other. I'm wondering what kind of support he had at home. (notice i'm not saying what kind of parents>) They simply might not have noticed the kind of despair he was in at school, especially if her was always really quiet.

I think I have the opposite problem, my child's self esteem is TOO good. She has some bullying potential, so I keep on her about it. . .

She's like MOM! I know I can't smoke. I know I can't drink! I know I have to be nice to everyone,can I PUH LEEZE leave now!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009