• In the Spotlight:

How do i ask the dr to check for twins?

Im eight weeks along and i have a gut instict that its twins. Im normaly right with my insticts too. But i am realy shy when it comes to asking dr.s questions. How do i ask him to check if its twins or should i just wait until i hear the heartbeats at 12 weeks?

KJ_on

Asked by KJ_on at 10:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally would wait until the anatomy u/s. It's hard to tell without a u/s especially this early.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• oh, the heartbeats could double up.. a lot of women don't find out until the 19-20 week u/s lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• "Can you tell if it is twins?"

hahaha
    Just kidding.
    YEah, just whenever you listen to the heartbeats, they should be able to tell. If they don't say anything, you can just ask.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Uh yeah I would just wait till the ultra sound. Honestly how would the doctor know if you are having twins when you are only eight weeks along?
    Anonymous

• They would know with a transvaginal ultrasound. I found out I was having twins at about 6.5 weeks at my first u/s. But, then it was part of the IVF process. They did a couple before the 8wk mark before releasing me to the OB.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You don't want to find out too early because often the body reabsorbs or miscarries one of the twins. It's better not to know until the ultrasound because then you can safely assume both babies will make it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• when you go in at 12 weeks too hear the heart beat most doctors will check for a second heart beat too make sure there isn't twins
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I just went in for a free ultrasound at the local pregnancy center and they told me at 7 weeks 4 days that I was carrying twins. It was completely unexpected! I am 10 weeks 5 days and have had 3 ultrasounds so far! Both babies look good and have strong heartbeats!
    I would mention something to your OB! Good Luck!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 3:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2009