my 21 month old will not stay in bed.

my husband and I tuck in our 3 year old and our 21 month old in their toddler beds every night and our 21 month old gets up every night to come sleep on the couch. some time s he doesn't even go to sleep in his bed. he waits till we go to bed then ventures out to the couch. How do we get him to stop. tonight he is just hysterical and it's only 945pm. we've been in there a dozen times to put him back to bed and he just gets up and goes to his door again. I don't want to get him a drink becuase I do'nt want his teeth to rot and I don't want him to wet in the night.

my3sons1981

Asked by my3sons1981 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had this problem with my 4 year old when he first went into a toddler bed he was 22 months at the time. I think it took about 6 months before he would just lay down and go to sleep on his own. I was going crazy from lack of sleep so I talked to my kids pediatrician about it and she said to put a lock on the inside door knob of his room then take the lock off after he went to sleep. I felt so bad doing this at first but it only took a few knights of doing it before it worked. All I would have to say to him was stay in bed unless you want Mommy to close the door. Good luck with your little one. I hope what ever you decide to do works out for you.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 11:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• With my son I had to just keep putting him back. It sucked and some nights it was ongoing for hours like on super nanny, but it really works. I also like what joleensboys said. Never heard that idea before. Good luck!!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Does he take naps on the couch. If he does, it's not surprising he is comfortable there.

Maybe he needs his crib back. He might not be mature enough for a toddler bed.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• JMO but why does it bother you he sleeps on the couch? I understand you want him to sleep in his bed and I would love my daughter too as well, but she is going through a stage or something where she wants to sleep on the floor. I am inclined to let her as long as she sleeps there. If it really bugs you just keep moving him back. Does he have a nightlight in his room? Also I give my dd water at night in a sippy, no milk or juice. That may help.
    ajbrownies

Answer by ajbrownies at 12:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2009