Expensive coat, school

I don't "do" swagbucks so I don't understand how it works. But my Mom is obsessed and I guess she just cashed it all in and has a poop-load now. She found this fall coat by NorthFace for the kids and I looked at it at Macys.com and it's $100. All I can think it how it's going to get lost or stolen or left on a field trip or something. I am respectfully declining the offer even though they are nice coats. Do you worry about nice things going AWOL at school?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:30 PM on Aug. 16, 2012 in

• Yes, unfortunately it happens. we dealt with a bit of theft/lying last year when my daughter got a soccer ball from the Jump rope for Heart fundraiser, she was the only one in her class who got one and another kid tried to steal it :( Its sad to think that you shouldn't send "nice" things to school because of the chance it would get lost or stolen but it will save your child heartache later to just keep the nice things at home and the cheaper things for school :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:39 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• Yes- DS was about 10 and had a lovely heavy stylish winter coat...for about a week.
    Thrift store all the way.
    I've said it before- kids are stupid- developing brains.
    I have elected to keep the stress levels down. Losing $30ish hurts less than losing $100 for Mom and Kid.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• My dd is going into second grade and has never lost anything or had it stolen. I'm more worried about the abuse shell give to expensive things lol they are in a pretty good school district..
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:40 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• EEEK. That thought has no occurred to me. DD has a coat I got her last year on sale (80 dollar coat for 15). I've written her name in marker inside of it. Now I'm going to be worried. I totally understand where you are coming from Hibbing.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I wouldn't decline the offer. just use permanent marker to put their names somewhere inside the coats and remind them that they must take care of them because you cannot replace them. Use it as a learning opportunity to help teach them about being responsible for their possessions and taking care of them.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:43 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• Absolutely. I make it a point to check out the lost and found regularly during the winter. Some of the 'better' stuff never shows up again.
    My own children (now grown men) used to go through 2-4 coats each winter..drove me crazy.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:55 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• YES! I guarantee at some point a coat will be lost!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:25 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I would have taken the coat, I dunno, neither of my kids has ever lost anything or had it stolen, so that is why.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Once they have lockers I don't worry anymore. They don't get lockers until 6th grade.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Yep happens all the time.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 24, 2012