I'm just asking another honest question that i don't know about

ok, i went to church last week and two people were in a disagreement: the one said she was disowning her daughter for having a baby out of wedlock. the other said she was wrong to do. the daughter was 23 and she had her own place.

i don't know these two women at all. this was my first time at the church. it just struck me as odd for the conversion. because right now we're not legally married (we do have a date, but things always happened) so i know i have no room in that conversation. but what are you're veiws? just wondering.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 16, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• A mom is going to turn her back on her own daughter just when the young woman and the coming grandchild really need her most. Sounds Christian to me ... not!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I believe things happen. It's not anyone's right to judge. It's probably a conversation I would have walked away from really quick.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:41 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• 23 is more than old enough to make her own decisions. I was 22 when I had my son. I think Mom A, who is disowning her daughter, seems a little extreme to me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:42 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I would never disown my children.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:44 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• It's not something I would ever do. If you disown your children then by extension you disown your grandchildren. To each their own though. it's not my place to get involved unless my opinion was asked for.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:26 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• It is nothing I would ever do, but I think it shows "traditional values" for family and having married parents. I will say that I think the family dynamic has changed when both parents in the home, or moving around from one boyfriend/girlfriend to the next, etc...and a lot of people see unwed parents as starting down that road and putting a child at risk for ill effects.

I can't think of a single situation that would ever cause me to say the words "disowning" in respect to my children, but I think sometimes people think that there is no in between...either they fully accept a behavior, or they wash their hands of it...that there isn't any room in the middle.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:21 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• nothing my son could do would cause me to ever say or do that. nothing. now, my DH would be another story...
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:28 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I would never disown my child. Never. I do not believe a person can say they are Christian and disown their child.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:42 AM on Aug. 19, 2012

• I say stay far away from the "church" lady,, cmon someone post a pic of her,, my computer won't let me.. SEE Noel,, you do know how to mind your own beeswax,,!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:52 PM on Aug. 16, 2012

• I think it's better to be married, but I do t judge. I would never disown my children.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2012