Are your animals in love with your children or jealous of them?

I have a dog and she is really jealous of the cat. I worry that when I have my baby she is going to be jealous of it too~HELP!

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pets

• The best thing to do after you have your baby is to have someone bring home a blanket the baby has been wrapped in that the dog can have. That way the dog will get used to the baby's scent. The first baby we had and the dog we had then didn't get jealous over the baby. He got upset if someone other than me or my husband was near her. Unfortunately we had to take him to a shelter because he was so over protective and bit my niece twice on the nose.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh shit!
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Your dog might surprise you. In addition to the above, if there are any changes you'll be making with the dog's schedule or habits, do them now. Don't wait until the baby is here...you don't want him to associate the changes with the baby. (i.e. he won't be allowed to sleep in your bed or he won't be allowed on the couch, etc..start enforcing now). Also, when you come home from the hospital, have someone else stay outside with the baby while you go in and greet the dog. Your dog will have missed you in your absence and you don't want him to associate your absence with the new baby. Once you've had your greetings, bring the baby in and immediately set the baby down for your dog to sniff. Try not to yell at your dog when the baby is around. Any instructions or corrections should be done in a physical manner (removing the dog, etc.). Make sure you spend 5 minutes alone with your dog every
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the advice, my DH and I are doing to bed thing...not going so well. She jumps on the bed plops right down on the edge..alot better than in between us though! But the couch thing I never thought of. It will be hard with having a very active cat who does as he pleases..and the dog always runs with!
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 11:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Wehave 2 cats and they love my family or should I say anyone who will give them attention.
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I went through this with a cat. My son was born in April of 06 and we adopted a kitten just a few weeks later, and he was still very young. I don't think he even needed to be weaned yet, but nevertheless, I took him. He would crawl up into my lap and lay his head on my shoulder just like the baby. I would rock him too. He thought HE was the baby. I had to obviously take care of the new baby too, but he would get so upset when he didn't get the attention that he would pee in the carseat or the bouncy seat when we weren't around. I had to start putting them up high or keeping them covered. He eventually stopped doing that to the babys stuff, but hes now almost 3 and he stil acts like a baby. Hes a very insecure cat and very skiddish. I think he was not only taken from his mother too soon, but I think they might have abused them. It makes me sad. We take good care of him but he still has these issues.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• When we brought Aub home I had bought tor a toy ahead of time to give her. Granted she didnt care about it, but foxxy might. Tor didnt care about Aub too much, but she did become protective. Always had to be in the same room. And now, she lays around and takes the abuse of a 10 month old. lol If meek is anything like his sister he'll just sniff the little on and go on about his day.
    tgiamt

Answer by tgiamt at 9:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• No my dog takes the punishment with pride. She's a very loving dog.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 11:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009