Does anyone know of a way to stop your toddler from repeating a bad word he heard on tv and now he keeps on repeating.

My son heard a not very nice word on TV and when we first heard him say it we thought maybe he was trying to say something else, but he repeated it more it a every day, and know that we started to tell him no, when he says that, now when he gets mad about something he says it, its like he knows now that it is a something bad and repeats it all the time, i need advice on how to get him to stop,

bluna3

Asked by bluna3 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pop him in the mouth when he says it, he should get the idea really quick
    Anonymous

• That's what I'd do. I also pop the mouth when they lip off and speak with an attitude towards me. My 2 1/2 yr. old is really good about the bad attitude thing though.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I found the best way to get them to stop is to just ignore it...if you yell and make a fuss about it, it seems like it makes them want to say it more. Next time he says it, just ignore it. Act like you didn't hear it. This worked for my daughter!!!
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 11:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son started fowllowing our dog around saying fu**e over and over. I told him that it wasn't nice (he's 2). I got lucky because he only said it a few times after that and that was it. My son's help me grow nurse told me to use time outs but time outs don't work around here, lol. That's all i got, but good luck!
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• OMG! Please don't pop him in the mouth! If you don't want him saying these things, you must be aware of what he is around...my kids can't get into the van without hearing the neighbor's bad mouths.

When they repeat it, I tell them it's a bad word that hurts people's feelings and ask them to think of a silly word instead.

"Oh man" instead of damn or "Oh Pickles" or "Duck juice" Anything silly that sounds like fun instead of the cuss word.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 11:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• LOL MY 4 YEAR OLD IS OVERLY GUILTY OF THIS BUT ITS MORE WHAT SHE HEARS ME AND DADDY SAY THEN WHAT IS SEEN ON TV. I WOULD JUST TELL HIM THAT THAT IS A BAD WORD AND HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT. YOU COULD USE YOUR NORMAL PUNISHMENT FOR THINGS DONE WRONG WHEN HE USES IT BUT AS LONG AS HE DONT EVER HEAR IT AGAIN HE SHOULD EVENTUALLY FORGET IT AND FIND SOMETHING NEW. RIGHT NOW THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT IS ITS A NEW WORD AND HE IS LOVING IT. ALTHOUGH HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT IT MEANS!!
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 7:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• first time my daughter said a bad word my DH laughed so then she kept repeating it b/c she got him to laugh after she kept saying it we just ignored her and she finally quit.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 8:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Turn off the tv and don't let him watch it. That will prevent it from happening in the future, at least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• That is ridiculous to pop your toddler in the mouth for repeating a word they have heard. At this point, you want to encourage words, not discourage them!! They are at an impressionable age now, so don't have the TV on channels where a bad word may be said. If you have the tv on for background noise, turn it to a music channel or Disney. I also think it is best to tell them once not to say that word and then ignore it. The more attention you give them (bad or good attention) the more they will say it to get a rise out of you. Again, please don't pop your child's mouth! It isn't their fault they are repeating a word that they have heard!

Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2009