Do I need to take a DHA supplement?

I just read that I was supposed to take a DHA supplement while being pregnant and breastfeeding.
My son is 1 month old now and I never took it. I am breastfeeding, should I start now or is it too late?

januarymom81

Asked by januarymom81 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DHA is in breast milk. It's not needed to take a supplement but getting DHA from other sources isn't bad for your health. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I took a prenatal vitamin that had DHA in it. It's called PrenateDHA. It's good to take while breastfeeding also. You could ask your OB/gyn about it.
    Anonymous

• heavens no.
    if you already have it built into a vitamin you already have then go ahead and take it but i definitely wouldn't go out of my way to get my hands on it.
    personally, i don't like the way they make the dha that's in stuff now.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I was talking to lactation today and she suggested I start a DHA supplement... it helps with milk supply. In addition it is a good fat for your brain and your baby.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2009