Should I worry that my 14 month old son is not walking?

He was a late crawler too. He didn't start crawling till about 10 months. He walks holding on to furniture and can walk a few steps but thats it. He walks on his knees all the time. Even holding his hand(s) sometimes he doesn't want to. What's wrong?? What can I do to encourage him?

Aidensmommy1115

Asked by Aidensmommy1115 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he is doing well. My husband as a child didn't start walking until 15 months. Just hold his hands and "walk with him", and let him do everything he has been doing :) he's getting there!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Absolutely not. They all walk eventually and once he starts, you'll be like "remember the glory days when he didn't walk?" =) Some kids are just more cautious than others....as a parent, I'd prefer a cautious kid I think. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No, I would not worry at this point! My daughter was a "late" bloomer as well, and she didn't start walking until she was 17 months old! Just be patient and wait it out, as hard as that sounds. He will get it at his own pace!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yeah, I wouldn't start worrying yet. Apparently it's typical for kids to start walking between 12 and 18 months. He's doing fine : )
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• NO I WOULD NOT WORRY. ALL KIDS DEVELOP AT DIFFERENT AGES AND STAGES. MY 4 YEAR OLD WAS WALKING AND TALKING BEFORE SHE WAS 1 AND MY NOW 18 MONTH OLD DIDNT WALK TILL RIGHT AFTER 1 AND IS JUST NOW STARTING TO REALLY TALK. I WOULDNT WORRY JUST YET BUT I WOULD KEEP THE DR INFORMED OF HIS PROGRESS OR LACK THERE OF. I WOULDNT START WORRYING TILL AROUND AGE 2
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 7:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• don't worry too much... most doctors aren't even concerned until eighteen months. My daughter developed very early... she was rolling both ways by two weeks and crawling by four months... but then didn't walk until she was twenty months old. She's now four and perfectly normal. :oD
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 7:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• hi , i am so glad that someone else has asked this question , my daughter is also 13months and she still isnt walking , she does however walk holding on to the furniture , and if i walk w/ her , i thought maybe there could be something wrong . everyone keeps telling me that she'll do it when she is ready , but she isnt even putting two words together yet , does your child do that ? my baby doesn' t say mama or dada , i thought that was a little strange so her doctor referred me to this program called first steps ,and they came out yesterday to evaluate her , the funny thing is , when the lady was at my home yesterday , my daughter decided to let go of the couch and took 4-5 steps , i was soo excited but then she made me look like a liar ..lol.. the women told me she seems fine and when she is ready she will walk & talk . To answer your question , i wouldnt be too worried , he'll start when he's ready ! good luck Bridget~
    bmsoraghan

Answer by bmsoraghan at 8:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My 13 month still isn't walkin' she finally took her first steps a few weeks ago. i figure if she's still not walking by her 15 month check up i'm talking to the doctor.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 8:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My son didn't walk until he was 16 mos. Of course, his siblings never put him down long enough to learn so he was quite late. Hes a late bloomer in everything though. Hes fine and it sounds like hes progressing just fine.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• they are all different. i have four, and my first was a little older than one, my second was 14 months, my 3rd was 16 months, and my youngest started walkin at 10 and a half months... and they are all perfectly normal. i agree it sounds like he is just fine! :)
    heathercook78

Answer by heathercook78 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2009