Pregnancy and drinking coffee

i just found out i am pregnant. my question is..before i was a two to three cup a day coffee drinker... I do not want to drink this much or even drink any at all. I'm wondering should i just stop drinking it cold turkey or should i slowly cut back to where i don't even want it? I've thought i heard it is dangerous to just stop something completely...i would think coffee would be the same since caffeine is a drug. *i do drink lots of water. And i have cut back some so far

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:53 AM on Aug. 17, 2012 in Pregnancy

• switch to half and half, i'm talking the coffee not creamer, that should help, then soon you can switch to decafe.
    that's what my sister in law did. she just switched, but she had to get used to the taste of it. she and my brother drinks about seven pots a day.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I was told one cup of decaf a day was fine when I was pregnant if you can quite cold turkey then go for it; but if not switch to decaf if you aren't already drinking it. Ask your doctor also what they suggest. Congrats
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:59 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Congrats.
    I drank coffee (several cups a day) during my entire pregnancies. I think advice has changed though in 43 years.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:10 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I drank a cup of full power coffee evey morning during my pregnancies, but then switched to decaf for the rest of the day. My kids are fine, despite an extra ear and that strage little tick...
    (kidding about the ear and the tick)
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:13 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• For the record, I didn't dv anyone.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:39 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I drank about 1 cup of coffee a day with both my children. Both are thriving, healthy little individuals. My OB/GYN said about a one caffeinated drink a day is fine, just try not to over do it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:49 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• My OB said to keep caffeine intake at around 220mg a day. Which equates to about three cups of coffee (8oz each cup). I wouldn't recommend stopping cold turkey since caffeine withdrawal causes awful headaches.

pixy_styx

Answer by pixy_styx at 9:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Go ahead and drink a cup or two if you need (or just want) the coffee. Moderate caffeine is okay under around 200mg a day. Just remember that you can also get caffeine from other sources (soda, tea, chocolate, some energy bars and drinks) and it all counts.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2012