breast feeding

I'm due in a few weeks, and I'm curious...

How will I know if my baby is getting enough milk if I'm breast feeding?
AND how many ounces should I put in each bottle if I'm storing the milk so Hubby can feed the baby?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 11:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby is wetting and pooping enough diapers is the real test of whether or not baby is getting enough.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have to listen to the suck and swallow and if they are not fussy and seem to be satisfied and they are pooping and wetting diapers its pretty self explanitory!! My baby girl is 2 weeks and will not even take a bottle she will fight till she is exhausted so I cant pump and give him a bottle to feed her cause she wont take anything but me!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I myself had the same question! Really the answer is you'll know they are getting enough if they have wet diapers and seem satisfied. Just try and relax, take a Tylenol (it does help) especially in the first week when your nipples seem to be the sorest! I'd try to hold off pumping until a month postpartum just to establish a good milk supply! Remember the soreness will go away it IS only temporary! Drink lots of fluids but try to stay away from caffeine (Tends to make babies fussy). I found that some juices gave my ds diaper rash so I stuck with milk, water and a treat was kool-aid! If you ever need a person to talk to i'd be happy to listen! Hope this helps!

kaloves

Answer by kaloves at 11:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• A baby should have about 6-8 wet diapers per day, which is to be used as a guideline to determine if baby is getting enough breastmilk.

And at the beginning, I would store milk in 2 oz portions. You don't want to waste any! After the first few months, store in 4 oz portions.

The most effective way I've found to pump is to pump one side while feeding baby on the other, although it takes a while to master.

You also want to hold off on introducing a bottle until breastfeeding is well established. (Until you consistently have a good latch)

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Your first week you will be engorged with milk..it hurts but then after that your body will adjust to the babies needs which can changed from week to week.....Baby will get enough. You just continue to rest and drink enough fluids.
    Whatever you pump from your breasts is what baby needs...so if it is only an ounce....then that is all they need.
    Formula is way different than breast milk so try not to compare.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Sorry, but the last answer is incorrect:

"Whatever you pump from your breasts is what baby needs...so if it is only an ounce...then that is all they need"

Your baby may eat 3 oz per feeding, but a 20 minute pumping session may only result in 1 oz. Pumping is not a good indicator of supply, and your baby is much better at getting milk out than a pump. (So don't be discouraged if you are not able to pump a lot, and also don't let it be a cause for concern about supply).

Here's a "How much expressed milk will my baby need" link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

kellymom.com is a GREAT resource for any breastfeeding questions you may have.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009