My daughter was put on the wrong cheerleading team with much younger girls. What should I do? Am I overreacting?

My 12 year old daughter looks much older than she really is. She cheers for a local youth group in my area. I just found out yeasterday that she somehow got put in the 9-10 year old group. Many of the girls on that team are even younger than 9 becaues they allow younger girls on the team if they have a brother that plays football in the same age group. My daughter is upset about being put with the younger girls becaues she looks much older than them. She is 12 but looks more like 14. Most of the girls on the 9-10 team are 7-8 years old. I called the lady over setting up the teams yeasterday but she said she already turned the paperwork in to the county and that it will be hard to change her team. She also mentioned that it would be a big inconvienance. I am upset that I have invested over $200 and they cannot even put my daughter with her own age group. Am I overreacting? What would you do to resolve this? Thanks

purple41224

Asked by purple41224 at 11:19 AM on Aug. 17, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• i'd keep insisting she be put on the right team, or i'd get a refund for everything, if in any way possible.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:21 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• you paid, I would demand the correct team and not shut up about it until the issue is resolved. That is beyond ridiculous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Continue to be pleasant but insist she get put on the right team. They can make that change. It's not rocket science, it can be done.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:29 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Tell the lady you want her on the right team,, it shouldn't be a big deal,, I assume she is good enough to be on the right team? If this is a competitive team, they may have not wanted her if they thought she would hinder their wins,, rotten, but maybe they did this on purpose? I would think the coach would have something to say about it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:30 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Never thought about it that way. This is her first year but this is also the first year for alot of the other girls.I feel that they should not expect her to cheer with girls so young and I should get a refund or they should put her with her age group. They have already told me that a refund is out of the question. This is not a very competitive team like in high school. They do not go to compatitions or even tryouts.
    purple41224

Comment by purple41224 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I would call them today ---"them" being the people the lady turned the paperwork in to, and Say there has been a mistake, I need my kid to be in her own age group, could you please change the roster so she can be with girls her own age? I bet they will do in a minute, bypass the lazy lady and go straight to the "horses" mouth,, LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:47 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• you are not getting the "service" you paid for so YES a refund IS possible. You go striaght to the person who runs this organization and demand a refund, proper placement or you take them to small claims court end fo discussion. You can also contact the official for your county and make a huge stink for them. They need to honor the age group or give you money end of story! In a sense they are committing fruad by NOT putting her where she belongs and refusing to fis their error.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I do not know who to call. How would I find out? All I know is that she said she turned the roster into the county.
    purple41224

Comment by purple41224 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Call your county parks and rec to see if they are the one's that get the paperwork. If they are, ask them about the situation and see what they have to say. Ask them if it's a big 'inconvenience'.

There are a lot of reasons she may have put your DD with the younger girls, either way she should be with her age group. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2012

• call her and demand to know who you can speak to about this. she would know.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:55 AM on Aug. 17, 2012