Smoking causes breathing problems! Why not quit?!

So our 4 month old son just got bakc form the ER and the doctor says that he is allergic to my Hubby's ciggarette smoke. Quitting smoking would eliviate the problem, but my hubby (gary) is pouting about having to quit. I keep saying that it's for our son's health and well being but he's still pouting and making excuses!!!! I"M EXASPERATED!!!! Please tell me how to convince him further!

KorisMum

Asked by KorisMum at 11:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell him its cheaper to quit smoking than taking your son to the Dr every week because of his decision to continue with his habbit. Or its easier to quit smoking than it is to wash his hands and change his clothes everytime he has a cancer stick. It took me almost 5 years to convince my hubby to quit smoking. But finally 3 kids later he made it his new year resolution to quit and has been tobacco free since new years eve! Good Luck!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 11:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'd tell him he has to go outside! My soon to be husband chewed and i told him i didn't want my daughter around that and if he wanted to chew he HAD to go outside. Well recently it's gotten down into the single digits here so it's to cold to go outside unless you want to put your whole snow suit on that made him quit! Otherwise I'd tell him suck it up it's for the health and wellbeing of his son and himself! Sorry I know I came off a little mean I'm sorry but I can be really sweet!

kaloves

Answer by kaloves at 12:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We have a solution to my husbands smoking: he goes out side. No smoking is allowed in the house, or cars, or around her. When she was an infant until around 1 years old he washed his hands before holding her, and changed his shirt. He doesn't hold her and smoke, etc. If he wont quit, make him change how he smokes.

If he quits and doesn't really want to, he wont really quit. It has to be something he wants to do, not something that can be forced on him. Trust me, I have had this argument with my husband time and time again.. I have given up, but he follows my rules if he still wants to smoke
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• He has to quit when he is ready, when he realizes it for himself. In the meantime, he Must go outside and smoke. You must insist for your baby's health. Then he may not touch baby until hands are washed and clean. That shouldn't be hard for him to do. He'll get used to it. Make this a rule that he must follow. Talk to him about it nicely, but firmly, and calm.
    Ginger_07

Answer by Ginger_07 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If he can't quit for himself, well maybe he could just go outside for the baby? Sorry, this must be tough for you. I hope you can convince him.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Has he thought about getting an electronic cigarette? He'd still get his nicotine and be able to actually "smoke" it like a cigarette. My hubby uses one. He has been able to totally cut out smoking and switch to the electronic cigarette. He can smoke inside and it doesn't give off any smoke...just water vapor. He got his at www.Ownyourhealthy.com.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Oh yeah...the electronic cigarette costs more at first, but then it is cheaper then real cigarettes.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I gave the option of either quiting or not seeing his child. He knew I was serious. Nothing comes above the well being of my child, period. If DH couldn't see that then he wasn't worth being around (11 yrs of marriage or not). It was an easy choice and one he doesn't regret nor hold against anyone. He only wishes he had done it years before. Good Luck and don't bend on your child's health nothing is more important.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• What an A$$hole! Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Smoking outside may cut down on the smoke floating round in the house, but it's still on his clothes, in his hair and on his skin...if you can smell it, you're breathing it in.

If he's unwilling to stop a habit for the welfare of his child, then apparently he doesn't care enough to see his child. Time for an ultimatum. Either he stops smoking, or you stop being married.

Worked in our situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009