scooting in his crib

My son is 8 1/2 months, he was born early and is a little behind in physical development, recently he learned to roll from front to back and back to front, now when we put him to sleep in his crib he sometimes rolls over and gets stuck on his tummy and then wakes up and screams because he doesn't have enough room to roll back over. He also sometimes scoots to the top of his crib or scoots 90-180 degrees around and then wakes up. Is there anything i can do to prevent this? I already took the bumpers off his crib because they were more of a safety hazard than a help

calvinsmommy18

Asked by calvinsmommy18 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not much. They outgrow it.
    I would suggest a crib tent or mesh bumpers. Either one will keep arms and legs from getting stuck in the bars. The crib tent will also keep him from climbing out in the months to come. That lets you choose when to move him to a bed instead of being forced to move a too young toddler just because he's trying to climb out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My son is doing the same things exactly. I don't think there is much you can do to prevent it. We do put our baby in a sleep sack and helps with some of the scooting.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My son was also born early and is 8 months old!!
    He does this too, I just let him fuss himself back to sleep sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't, I just roll him back over, and scoot him back down. There really isnt anything that can be done to help.
    I had to make bumpers for his crib, I made them wider and thicker, because I did take them off, and went in to check on him and he had both legs out one part and both arms out another, He still has problems sleeping. Hopefully it will get better soon...
    Just hang in there mama, soon he is gana be all over your house and into everything!!!!!
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• the reason i took the bumpers off a few months ago is cuz i heard him screaming and he had scooted himself to the top of the crib and he was stuck under it...... so i am scared to put them back on. He was also in a swaddler for a while but we are trying to break him of that....just so i dont have a 2 yr old still being swaddled......lol that wouldn't be a good image
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• hey steph was early and also has heart prolems so i know how the behind thing is she did it and she is still behind if you have a play pin clean it out at night and put him on his back but let him sleep in it he cant get stuck and when he gets next to the sides he will learn to get away from them because there is no where to go thats what we had to do with steph and after a week or 2 she did not do it any more but she was getting stuck to when she started doing it and we had to take the bumpers off and the i was like there has got to be somthing and it really helped us so just try it for a little and see if it works for yall it did the job for steph also but him on the floor alot when your at home and just let him roll he will find how to control it !! have fun i know how its is
    happymama7

Answer by happymama7 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2009