Animals and pregnant

we have cats and guinea pigs. My husband does take care of the litter but i have noticed i am more sensitive to the smell as i walk past their boxes or cage if they havent been changed. I do not go anywhere near the boxes but can the smell still hurt me..and i'm also concerned about the cats coming from their boxes and tracking litter places.. (like i could catch that disease)idk, i guess i'm getting to be a worry wart now with this pregnancy. do i need to be worried or am i just being nervous?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 17, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Pregnant women should not change kitty litter,, I can't remember the exact disease, but you are going to have to ask your husband to do this.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• kimi, he IS changing the litter boxes.

I think you're being overly nervous. If it were me, I'd sit down with him and just tell him what you've said here: Due to pregnancy your nose is stronger than usual and you're smelling the litter box(es) and cage(s) more than normal. Would he mind cleaning them a little more often? Maybe morning and night instead of mornings.

As for the litter being tracked around, you should be fine there. Just vacuum it up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:05 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Sorry I read it wrong,, no need to worry, just the pregnant nose,, I swear when I was pregnant, I could smell coffee from the cafe 2 miles away!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• You will be fine. Just do not handle the litter or should there be an accident outside the box (unlikely but it hapens)

Other than that I wouldn't french kiss your cat and just use normal hygene.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• my husband does not change the litter daily though..should i be concerned about that?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• My husband was working out of state for most of my last 2 pregnancies, and we have cats. My doctor told me to use gloves and a mask to make it safer, but preferred that I not do it at all.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:34 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• How many cats, and how many boxes? I think the recommendation is 1 more box than cats. That being said, I have 3 cats and one box. It gets scooped out daily, and the litter changed as necessary.

If your husband is not scooping daily, he should be.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:13 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• we have 2 cats and they each have a box..he changes the litter once a week. he does not scoop daily like he should and when i say something to him about it he gets mad
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2012