Have you ever almost died? What happened? How old were you?

My family was travelling in South America and I became infected with a blood infection and had to be flown to the US. I was in a coma for 6 months. I was 8 years old.

The second time was in college I was given Iodine contrast die for a cat scan after an auto accident. I had a severe reaction known as anaphylaxis to the Iodine.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 17, 2012 in Just for Fun

• I was very concerned for my life after the birth of my last child...extreme fluid retention, all the way to my chest. They were pumping me full of so many different types of medication that I didn't find out until later ALL made me retain water. The highest doses possible of all these meds, too...plus a steady IV bag of fluid. When I left the hospital, I was 15lbs heavier than I went in even after having the baby, and I gained another almost 30lbs after I got home, too. I eventually peed out 40lbs in MAYBE 16 hours. It was insane. I will never allow them to do any of that stuff again. I will refuse to have a bag of water, and I will refuse medications unless I am given the potential side effects along with the potential interactions for any other medication they want to give me. There was nothing more terrifying than feeling like I couldn't breathe from water in my chest, being afraid to go to sleep and having a newborn.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:24 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Thankfully I have not. My husband nearly died twice (at 22 and again at 25) from pulmonary embolisms. That was so scary and I felt so helpless both times.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Ex tied my hands behind my back and put a loaded gun to my head..does that count?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:07 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Twice,, My Dad and I went with a relator to look at a house,, it was almost dark, and the guy was driving like a maniac,, my Dad kept telling him to slow down,, the next thing we knew he was passing on a hill and a semi was coming right at us head on,, I remember my Dad saying,, I love you Kimi,, and it went dark,, we woke up in a ditch,, the trucker had ran off the road, and I guess the car flipped, to this day, my Dad says someone must have had plans for us- I was about 8

the second time I had a placental abrubtion, and they couldn't control the bleeding, or get enough into me fast enough,,somehow it just stopped,, I remember just telling my husband and parents I loved them, and they were trying to save our daughter,, I woke up 2 days later. I was 35
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:08 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• meooma I am so sorry that happened to you.
    booklover545

Comment by booklover545 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Yes I was 27. There was an additon with a seperate gas furnace in a home we had bought and there was a crack in the heat exchange. I was lucky help came when they did. It was close.....
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:14 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Yes a few times but not going there sorry.

Meooma That would be awful but you survived and I am so glad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:18 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I almost died at 16 months old. I had meningitis. My fever got up to 106. I have had seizures ever since.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Never anything that extreme but I've been in car accidents, was robbed at gun point but the gun wasn't near my head and I don't know if it was loaded or even real.....that's all that crosses my mind as far as life/death situations.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• When a kid (he was about 15) from my apartment complex almost drowned me when I was 8. He took my bracelets (they were long and wrapped a few times around each wrist) and tied my wrists and ankles, then tossed me in the deep end of the pool. I could swim, but he threw me in close to the edge and my head smacked the wall as I went down, so I blacked out. Some guy jumped in after realizing I wasn't coming up, pulled me out and did CPR until I was revived.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:40 PM on Aug. 17, 2012