Chocolate milk and weight loss?

I debated what category to put this in, so it might not be right. Anyway...I'm hoping someone with some kind of real knowledge about health, exercise and weight loss can help me out here.

I am trying to get back into shape and lose weight. I am changing the way I eat, eating much healthier, and mostly water to drink. But I am a major chocoholic. Chocolate is my one big weakness. To avoid eating tons of candy bars or chocolate donuts or brownies, I was thinking I could drink chocolate milk instead. I know that it's got to be lower in calories than some of those things, and I'm thinking it's probably slightly better for me than those things. I've started walking, a little more than half a mile right now but planning to work my way up to 2 miles, and will also be sometimes riding a bike and eventually jogging/running.

My question is: Can I drink it and still lose weight? Or am I just fooling myself to be able to give in to my chocolate addiction? And if I can drink it, how much can I drink before it hurts more than helps? I'd be making it with 2% milk, btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Aug. 17, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• Why don't you try skim milk with chocolate Ovaltine.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I would, but I cannot stand the taste of skim milk. I know some people can't tell a difference, but I can. I'm not much of a milk drinker in general, I can only drink it with chocolate in it. And I can tell the difference between whole, 2%, and skim.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Sure you can, and they make a sugar free version,, you could also do a slim fast with ice in the blender,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:53 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Honestly I would stick with just eating plain chocolate bars, dark chocolate is 'healthier' and if you can truly LIMIT yourself to like one a day I would think it would probably be less calories than drinking chocolate milk :-/ i'm no expert though!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:54 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I agree with kimigogo! The sugar free version is good! Plus you might really like the chocolate slim fast just as much.
    pixy_styx

Answer by pixy_styx at 2:57 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• Try this:

Raw Chocolate Milkshake Miracle
    Ingredients:
    • ¼ cup hemp seeds (or use soaked almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds etc.)
    • 2 heaping Tbsp. raw cacao powder
    • 1 Avocado
    • 1 very large frozen banana (or 2 small) 
    • 2 Tbsp. raw honey, agave, or maple syrup
    • dash sea salt 
    • ¾ - 1 cup water
    • 4 ice cubes

Directions:
    1. Blend all the ingredients together; add water to thin if desired. It’s a thick one, folks! 
    And although the urge to chug may take over, don’t forget to “chew” your milkshake for better digestion! Very important. 

robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 3:00 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I eat dark chocolate almost every night. I eat one portion of a high quality bar and it's enough. Sometimes I only have half a portion.
    It has some health benefits and is much better for you than whatever they put in the chocolate milk powders.

I would also avoid "diet" versions of things. Artificial sweeteners are often addictive and make you crave sweet.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:06 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• I don't do "diet" anything. Can't stand the way they taste. I also should have mentioned that I make my own chocolate syrup to go in it.

The problem with eating it is that I don't think I could eat just a small amount and stop there. That's why I was thinking chocolate milk might be better, because I wouldn't drink, drink, drink all the time because I don't want to pee, pee, pee all the time. lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• It fills you up, and as long as you keep it to 8 oz per day,, you should be fine.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:11 PM on Aug. 17, 2012

• i read an article about how many of the Olympians drink chocolate milk after exercising b/c it replenishes their electrolytes, the simple sugars replenish their muscles quickly, and all the vitamins & calcium is good too. i believe it listed Phelps, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman, and Adrian Nichols (not sure on that last last names).

but they exercise all day every day...i would think a normal sized glass of chocolate milk a day would be fine, especially if you are exercising regularly. but you may be able to eat a square of dark chocolate for the same calories/fat but i would think it would have a higher yum factor.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:20 PM on Aug. 17, 2012