I need help choosing a Christian homeschool curriculum.

I am trying to find a good Christian curriculum to use with my 5 year old son. He is very active, verbal, and I would like to find a system that wouldn't bog him down too much. I thought about using the ACE or Abeka program, our budget is maybe $300., don't really want to go over that. I really want a Christian homeschool curriculum, I really feel just anything else would defeat the reason we want to homeschool in the first place. What do you use and does it hold your child's interest especially if the child is a boy? Does it come with lesson plans done out already? Also, does it help you learn how to be a good and thorough teacher? Thank you, feel free to send me a message if you have more tips on homeschooling.

izyandchrismomi

Asked by izyandchrismomi at 1:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you checked out Bob Jones University's homeschool curriculum? My sister used A Beka Book. I am not sure about the lesson plans. Have you talked to anyone at A Beka Book? There might be a place locally or nearby where parents meet to sell their used books.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I give the tests for BJU press and the parents that come to me for the testing love the material they have look around www.bjupress.com see what they have. Those kids also score very high on the tests vs the ones whose parents just use the public school texts. I can tell you personally any questions I have had they are very friendly and informative on the help line.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I was going to suggest ACE, Abeka or BJU. Personally for me, I think that at that particular age, the Abeka is hard to beat. Its a great cirriculum. I wouldn't use it much past about 3rd grade because there are other great programs, but for the prek, k and 1st grade. Its wonderful and puts your child pretty far up academically. My opinion might be biased since both of my girls were taught to read using the Abeka.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I make my own lesson plans but have heard mostly good things about Abeka. Try contacting some of your local homeschool families to see ifyou can buy their used curriculum from them cheaper. Also check online at http://www.usedhomeschoolcurriculum.com/ .

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The only advice I can give is to review the curriculum before purchasing -- find someone else that uses it and borrow it for an evening or something like that.

I don't generally use Christian curriculums, but I'm on a budget, too. For that reason lots of my materials come to me by way of thrift stores or freecycle. I take whatever I can get, basically, and have ended up with lots of different Christian materials (Abeka, Chiristian Liberty Press, BJU, etc).

They're pretty helpful, we just skip the religious references, BUT I've been appalled at times at some of the lessons in some of the books. Some can be quite racial. I've come across lessons teaching that slavery wasn't all that bad & that we should have no sympathy for the atrocities done to the Native Americans.... just to name a couple.

So -- like with any other curriculum (esp if you're paying $$$ for it), just review it yourself first.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2009