Since my MIL took my hubbys identity and got 75,000 dlls worth of loans behind his back, and now shes using as the excuse that she did it to help us remodel some of our house will the detective fall for it since she has the appointment with him tomorrow?

We remodeled our house with our income money she didnt give us one single penny out of all the loans she started doing them since 2002 till 2006 and we barely found out cause the bank started billing us all these bills with late fees and now my hubbys dad is saying his daughter thats 20 yrs old is going to stay homeless because they might go to jail, and I tell my husband well they should of thought of that before they took your identity without permission! I'm sure at 20 yrs old she can take care of herself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would make sure you talk to the detective and show him proof you paid for the repairs , never hurts to cover all your bases
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have the receipts but what if they lie and say they gave us money when they didn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It doesnt matter what she tells them, she acted alone and thr detectives will see that. Yes, keep your recipts, find your proof, and good luck what a rotten mother to do that to her kid!!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 4:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Doesn't matter what she tell them the money was for the crime is she took your dh's identity and took out loans that he had no idea about until he got bills for them. That is illegal. As for them calling and hanging a guilt trip don't answer the phone and what does FIL have to do with anything unless he himself signed the papers as well the only thing they could charge him with is accessory if he had knowledge of the crime and spent the money as well. That might only get him probation depending on your state laws. As for the 20 year old she can just apply for student loans and go to a college with a dorm. She will be fine.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It's not who paid for your remodel you have to worry about. If there is a detective involved I would imagine she's going to jail for fraud / identity theft. They don't really care what the money is spent on... unless shes saying your DH knew she was using his information.
    What a horrible thing to happen and to have it done by a MOTHER - thats disgusting!
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Loan apps have to have a signature. Make sure you write to all the credit bureaus and open disputes on all the loans.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It depends on how STUPID the detective is, but I'm betting that he's smart enough NOT to believe HER story.

For one thing, your hubby's credit must have been good enough for her to get all of those loans in HIS name, so it doesn't make sense that she says she got the loans FOR you. If you wanted to get the loans, you could have gotten them yourselves.

Sounds like FIL is also involved, and knew what his wife was doing. It's a shame that it was your hubby's own mother who did this to him. There's enough identity theft nowadays, without having to worry if your family is going to do it to you. I've got no sympathy for thieves! I hope they both get jail time, maybe that will teach them a lesson.

How does your hubby feel about this? Will he testify that he didn't give her permission to get the loans? I feel sorry for him, having to go through something like this with his own parents.
    ProudTxGrandma

Answer by ProudTxGrandma at 11:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• He wants to press charges on them but now hes feeling sorry just because hes father came to tell him they dont want to lose there jobs or go to jail and they dont want to leave there daughter homeless, but I tell him hey they should of thought of that before committing the crime. My DH had already given his mother a chance when she screwed him over with capital one, she also signed him up with that without his permission and charged on it and left him owing 1,500, he called to the main office and they had her home phone on file under his name, so he told her not to do that ever again, but she still did. So I thionk they only way shell ever stop is if we scare her by putting her in jail.
    Anonymous