Is it a good idea to get my 5-months old vaccinated with a slight cold (no fever)?

Does anybody have any suggestion for finding a pediatrician, who doesn't just prescribe "Tylenol" for anything and everything or whose answer isn't just "it'll clear up" (i.e. congested tear duct, constipation). I'm a little suspicious, hence my question above. New to the area and motherhood and do not know any pediatrician, who hopefully still believes in natural remedies as well as pharmaceuticals. Don't want a "doped-up" child. Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks a million!!!

colette365

Asked by colette365 at 1:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Health

• No i wouldnt vax if child is sick i would wait till they are better.

Unfortuneately nowadys doctors are much more careful about giving meds ot children so they dont build up a resistance to them, personally i was given so many as a child that no i hav eot be given heavy duty meds when i get very sick.

Most doctors suggest you try as many natural remedys as possible, for congestion use steam go in the bathroom close the door and turn the shower on hot water only and sit on the toilet (i used to bring a chair in but my son needed this done alot) the steam will kelp loosen the congestion and help your child to cough up the nasty stuff, you will probably find that doing this frequently helps especially first thing in the morning. as for a tear duct try a warm rag, i used warm tea bags on my kids when the eyes get like that (which is rare) it helps draw it out,

prune juice works for constipation not too much.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I re read that sorry about the spelling its late lol, and i meant only a little prune juice, not that it doesnt work.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• no because they are sick and their immune systems are down when they are sick. you should not vaccinate when a child is sick.

i dont vaccinate at ALL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• As long as there is no fever, it's okay to get his vaccinations.

If you're uncomfortable with your doctor, by all means find a new one! However...the majority of infant and childhood ailments will "clear up on their own" or "have to run the course".

Colds: steam, saline nasal drops, suctioning, head elevation, humidifier, tylenol for discomfort
    Constipation: teaspoon or two of Karo syrup, or a bit of prune juice, tylenol for discomfort

Most things are caused by viruses and viruses can rarely be fought with medications. Infections and bacterial ailments are a different story.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thank you guys for the great advice, I really appreciate it! I failed to mention, that I did manage to clear up the two ailments, my daughter had and which I used as examples. I was just a little disappointed, that the pediatrician didn't have to give any alternatives and only seemed to have "the Tylenol-Answer" for everything. Here's what worked for us,and hopefully, it'll help somebody else as well:
    Tear Duct: I used an ointment called "Terramicina". It's from Pfizer and available in a Mexican Pharmacy. Cleared it up overnight! Funny side note: one of my cats got the same medicine from the vet for a chronic eye problem years ago, when he was a kitten, I realized. It's from Pfizer as well, but of course for animals, so make a trip to a Mexican Pharmacy!
    Constipation: Prune Juice worked great.

colette365

Answer by colette365 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2009