Have the lactivists ever made you feel guilty enough to try to relactate?

It didn't happen smoothly at all for me, but now I feel like maybe I should try to relactate. Dd is happy and thriving and meeting all of her milestones, but they really try to beat us down, don't they? Would it be possible, 6 months pp?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. I made the decision that was best for my sons and for me. I will never feel guilty about my decision. And those women who try to "guilt" others into trying or continuing to breastfeed when they don't want to manage to do nothing other than piss me off.

Is it possible to relactate? Sure. It's not going to happen quickly, though, so don't think it will. Is it worth a try? Only you can answer that. But doing it out of "guilt" in a situation where no guilt needs to exist...is not the right reason to do it.

Keep in mind the possible aggrevation of relactating, getting her to latch again...or...the possible aggrevation of relactating and pumping for her into a bottle and her getting used to drinking something else.

And in a few months she'll be eating food then switching to milk, too.....(if you chose to give milk, that is! )
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I breastfed for 4 months . . <<<<<
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Is telling you that it is possible beating you down?

It's always up to you. If you ask me, I will always tell you that it's possible as long as you still have breasts. The only other thing you need is the stubbornness, and only you and the woman in the mirror know whether you have that.

I'm not fond of lactavists who try to pound moms into submission. Do it or not. You only have the woman in the mirror to answer to. Makes no difference to me.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I hear where your coming from, I too had this pull at my heart strings.
    My ds was born premature, and breast feeding at the time was impossible, I tried pumping but not enough to fill him up,s o we had to give him formula, after we brought him home, He would not latch on but i continued to pump and suplimite with formula when needed. Over time it just became to much, so I decided it would be easier for all involved to formula feed only.
    I felt guilty about not BF, but I did what I had to do, what was right for myself and my child.
    I thought about relactanting when he was around 5 months or so, but after thinking long and hard about it, and what I would have to do to reestablish BF with him. FOR ME it was not right.
    My son is happy healthy and thriving, so ALL of his needs are taking care of.

If you wish to relactate, more power to you and best of luck.
    My advice would be think about what is right for you and your child
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Follow your heart
    Do naot let other poeple tell you or guilt trip you into something that may or may not be what is best for you and your daughter..

I wish you all the luck in the world...
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 2:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes it would be possible. My aunt adopted my DD when she was a newborn. My aunt relactated 7 years after she had last breastfed.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• No. They didn't, I made a decision that fit best for em and my family, no body is going to change my mind otherwise. I went 4 months with both kids and am happy with that. It is possible though, but don't let them get to you.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• When I first switched my son to formula, I struggled alot with the guilt. (He was 4 months old and I had to go back to work and was not pumping enough to keep him fed.) I was also running around like a mad woman and not getting the nutrition I needed to keep the milk full of the nutrition HE needed. Although I know that I made the right decision, I always feel the need to justify it to people. (lol, like I just did above.) I try to remind myself how much I do not miss nursing at certain occasions such as road trips when I can just give him a bottle in the back seat instead of pulling over to nurse him! Or at the restaraunt when I can actually feed him and myself at the same time.
    As for relactating...he so close to eating solids and switching to real milk that I dont see it as worth it. He is also a VERY healthy baby.
    :)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009