I can't believe this

Ok if you have read my journals you will know whats going on. Basically the other day my MIL and I got into it because she told my BIL that he could claim my DD on his taxes! I talked to my DF and he said no way its not going to happen he will talk to his mother. Well she tells us today that my BIL already filed his taxes with my DD on them!!! As if that's not bad enough I wasn't working that much so I had my daughter on food stamps for more than half the year so now I am afraid the government is going to come after me!!!! My MIL insists that I wont get in trouble but I am not so sure. What do I do now?????

Kari_Noelle

Asked by Kari_Noelle at 2:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• They Got Her Number By Going Through My Stuff Apparently (We All Live Together). Most Likely When DF and I Were At The Doctor (I Am 27 Weeks Pregnant). I Don't Want Them To Go To Jail. I Already Told Them That If I Get Questioned By The IRS (Or Anyone) That I Am Telling The IRS I DID NOT Give Him Permission. I Am Worried Now Though Because I Don't Want To Claim My DD And Have To Basically Out Them, But I Don't Want To Not Claim MY DD And Get In trouble With Social Services.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 2:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I cant read your journals so i could be wrong but that is fraud, and he could go to jail for claiming a dependent that isnt his, i guess my other question is how did he get your childs soc sec number? call the irs tell them what happened they should be able to advise you on whats best to do.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Think that would cause a red flag to go up and you may get an audit. I would tell them I want ALL my money or else you will claim her on your taxes and tell the IRS they comment fraud and and took your daughter SSN without permission and he doesn't provide support. How did the get her SSN anyway, and who does that and why would he think that is okay????
    NiHao

Answer by NiHao at 2:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Okay I DON'T condone this in ANYWAY possible, but this is similiar to what my SIL has been doing with her kids. She has been selling her 4 kids SSN for money so others can claim her children as dependants. She has not gotten into any trouble yet, nor have the other people. Her kids are on WIC, government health insurance, and food stamps. I am sure that it will catch up to her eventually. You need to stand up for yourself and your daughter. He may use her number for more than just claiming her as a dependant. HE IS THE ONE COMMITTING FRAUD. You need to report this so you won't get in trouble when it catches up to him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• yes I agree with Anon. and also, wouldn't he be getting your stimulus checks for each of your children? How is that fair?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would claim my kids and get my money. Times are too hard and they took money away from the mouths of YOUR children. Thats just not right. They did what they did and may have to pay consequences for it. And like someone else said, they now can use those soc's for anything. You'll need to put a fraud alert on your kids social security numbers to protect their credit. If you don't that could bite them in the butt when they become adults.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Claim your kids yourself. I would think that if anyone is audited, it would be your BIL. He isn't the father, right? So I'd guess that the IRS would wonder. Unless he put that he is the father, in which case he should go to jail. Those people are nut jobs, sorry. I'd report it. Neither one of them had any right to do that. I'd be mad as hell.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009