Toddlers and Tiaras

I'm sure most people are appalled by TLC's new reality show about child pageants, and I see why with some of these crazy mothers. The one mother was talking about natural pageants. No make up, no tans, no hair pieces, just cute kids in pretty regular dresses. So what do you think about that?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 2:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was thinking that I wouldn't mind it if the children were permitted to look like children. It is the false stuff- trying to make them look like what turns out to be a parody of a highly madeup adult that strikes me as creepy. When I see them I ache to see the sweet litlte children that they actually are and not the artificial plastic doll that they become. But even if they dropped the artificial 'enhancements" , I wonder about children competing based on looks and even talent and personality. I wonder if children that age actually feel like good sports or if they feel sad because they "aren't as perfect, good, pretty, talented, as the winner. I wonder if they feel they are inferior.

Answer by Bmat at 8:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• if it was just for fun no makeup tans or fake hair or teeth i think lil girls would love it id do it for my daughter only if its just for fun
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 2:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• No different than the freak show sports parents. Or the academic parents who's kids commit suicide when they get a B. Any parent that makes their child's accomplishments their own are sick and twisted. Any parent who can push a child so much they start hating something they once loved is a bad parent. For some reason people are fixated on pageants. There are far more freak show sports parents than pageant moms but it seems to be more acceptable.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• just for fun that sounds nice i hate the way these parents have their kids dress like that i mean then they wonder why they grow up to fast or guys go after them i mean they turn in to like 12 year olds that look 20 i think id like the whole natural thing
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i love that show though i think its nuts i woulld never do it, but if there was make up or anything and i had a girl maybe
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 7:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• as for modeling and these natural pagents thats fine. IMHO a 4 year old should not parade around looking like a streetwalker. False teeth, spray tans, dyed hair, makeup like Tammy Faye Baker. Now thats wrong!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think that is what they make Barbies for. Let your kids discover who they are and what they want to do. I do not appreciate the parents who live their dreams vicariously through their children.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i watched the first episode all the way through and only saw pieces of the other two. for the most past in the first one the moms didn't seem too forceful or over the top. the girls that were featured look like they were having a great time and pleased with their outcome. all except for aja (the 6 year old black girl) was disappointed in placing third i think. but the other girls were very pleased at least on tv. too much fake hair looks well fake, and i'm really not into flippers. a light spray tan makes a pasty pale person look sun-kissed and healthier imo. the make up and dresses- still not quite sure on how much is too much and whatnot.
    firefay

Answer by firefay at 11:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009