What should I do?

I work nights m-f for $11/hour. I am thinking about going to nursing school. I would be done in 3 years. My dh is disabled. We have 3 kids. I know I could make way more being a nurse, but I would hardly ever get to see my family between working full-time and schooling full-time. Cutting back to part-time work is not an option for financial reasons. What would you do if you were me? Oh my kids are 16, 15, and 8 if that matters.

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 3:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• Maybe if you go to school during the day while they are at school or maybe taking your pre-reqs online.
    lisakay32

Answer by lisakay32 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The pre-reqs that I still need aren't offered online, but I would be sleeping most of the afternoon while they were home
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 3:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The kids are old enough - ask them what they think. The older twolikely won't care, but the youngest might not be willing to miss you for 3 years. But I think you have the summers free, right?
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 4:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• But if it were me, I would do it as long as you have family support. You are right you will make more money, and there are lots of jobs in nursing!! great field choice!!!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 4:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would go for it. Chances are you will be eligible for the max amount of loans and aid so there will be cash left over and you can cut some hours at work. One thing with nursing is some hospitals give you sign on bonuses and if you work in some areas they have tuition reimbursement programs. I know a girl who graduated from the nursing program at the college I went to and went on to a major university hospital to work she got a $6000 sign on bonus, tuition reimbursement, plus medical dental eye coverage and her pay was awesome. She loves her job too. It was well worth it.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You could start out getting a CNA certificate. That helps get them use to the idea of you being gone alot. Also you will probably need it as most nursing schools are making it a prerequisite. I think you oldest two would be fine. Is your DH home? I know that is what we are doing right now. DH home more and I work and go to school.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 10:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I  might suggest that you start your own business.  It really is easier than you think.  There are lots of great ideas and resources at http://www.stuffformoms.info/.  There are links on that page as well to legit home based business websites so you can see just how easy there were to create.  Take a look, feel free to use those ideas for your own!

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Can you start off with online courses? If you could get even half the courses done online it would help you stay at home more (even if you are doing school.) Good luck hunny!!!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2009