Has your child had a reaction on Prevacid?

Our son is 5 and had colic for the first 18 months of life. He has had suspected silent reflux since he was 3 and suffers from severe constipation.
Last week the reflux got so bad the doctor agreed to try an acid blocker. He put him on Prevacid. He seems to be craving sugar and is off his food.
Today he complained about abdominal pain and about 3 hours later started puking a lot then stopped. I cleaned him up and then he got sick again about 3 hours later.
It's weird it is all liquid and pink. Another child at school had cupcakes with pink frosting today.... I am hoping that is what the pink is.
I am trying to work out if he has a bug or if he is reacting to the Prevacid. I will take him to the doctors later today but I like to be informed when I go. Any ideas?

AussieMum2

Asked by AussieMum2 at 3:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son takes Prevacid and has for about two years now, without any problems, but every child is different. More than likely the pink stool was from the pink frosting, but I'd still be concerned. It sounds like your child is severely constipated, hence the vomiting & liquid stools. The liquid stool comes out around the solid stool when there is nowhere else for it to go & vomiting can occur when there is no more room in the intestines or there is a blockage in the intestines not letting more solid wastes through. Your child may need a bowel clean-out or he may have picked up a stomach virus - how's he acting? If he's not acting sickly, then I would lean more toward this being a GI problem of some sort. Has your child been seen by a pedi GI doc? Or had any testing done for reflux, motility, food allergies, etc.? If not, this may be something to consider.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• He seems fine today, accept for the nausea when in the car. He has had the blood allergy tests and they all came back negative. He has been to 2 pedi GI docs. The first one told me to let him scream it out.... needless to say I didn't go back.
    The second one is working with us on the constipation. Just got back from the pediatrician as the specialist had a 6 week wait to get in. He is constipated, but not as bad as last time. I suspect we should have uped the Miralax when we started the prevacid. He will now have to take a full cap of Miralax for a couple of weeks to clear things out again.... He can start the prevacid again tomorrow.
    Our GI dr doesn't want to scope him unless he has too... our son is hyperflexible, so his ligaments are very floppy. He wears orthotics to stop him from walking on his inside ankle bone and he can touch the inside of his arm with his fingers. I suspect that is part of the problem.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 5, 2009