What should I do?

I work nights m-f for $11/hour. I am thinking about going to nursing school. I would be done in 3 years. My dh is disabled. We have 3 kids. I know I could make way more being a nurse, but I would hardly ever get to see my family between working full-time and schooling full-time. Cutting back to part-time work is not an option for financial reasons. What would you do if you were me? Oh my kids are 16, 15, and 8 if that matters

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Maybe you could do school part time and work full time? That way, even though it takes longer you get that time with your family.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My mom went to nursing school to be an LPN when I was a kid. After several yrs of that, she then went back to school again and got her RN (after I moved out).

It was very hard, and there were times we all hated it. But in the long run, she is happier in her career, and she has a better paying job / more job security in a fast growing field, so...

It's going to be hard, and it will take a lot of sacrifice from you and your family, but if this is something you're all on board for, then it's worth a shot. Have you tried for student grants to help offset the costs, so maybe you could cut back on some hours?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• your kids are old enough to help out. take classes online
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• IF IT MEANT GIVING MY FAMILY A BETTER MORE STABLE LIFE AND EVERYONE ELSE INVOLVED WAS OK WITH IT AND WILLING TO HELP OUT IN OTHER AREAS SUCH AS COOKING AND CLEANING THEN I SAY GO FOR IT.
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 7:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Your kids are old enough to understand that what you would be doing would be so you could improve you and their lives. My husband's mom and dad both worked full time and went back to school, mom for nursing and dad for engineering. He has so much respect and appreciation for the hardwork and effort they put in to make a better life. The best thing you can do is bite the bullet and go back. Get it done in one fell swoop and begin to enjoy the benefits of your hard work for you and your family.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Have you thought of quitting work altogether and going to school on loans and grants? My sister did this and made enough money from loans to support her through college. This way you could pursue an accelerated degree, graduate sooner and get higher pay sooner, and you will not be away from home any more than you are now. The classes may also be cheaper. At my college once you hit full time credits - which is 12 credit hours - any additional classes are free.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I probably would go for it. There will always be time for your family, and this is a good oppurtunity for you and your family. I would honestly go for it but compromise dont go to school full time so you can spend time with your family, or dont go to school on the weekends so you have time to spend with them. There is so much you can do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would go for it. The older ones can help now, and if you wait until they're gone in a few years, who will help look after the youngest?
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would go for it. Your kids are a bit older...not to say they don't need you but they can understand this would be for the greater good and as part of a family they all have to be understanding and a team player. I would look into online classes for the basics though. Labs are long and will keep you from home though. I think you will find 3 yrs is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things and it will be well worth it. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009