Positive discipline, for a very active 3 1/2 yr. old, that actually work?

My son will be 4yrs. old in November. Ever since, he has turned 2yrs. old he has been very active, when he turned 3 it was much much worse. I know they go through the terrible 2's and 3's stages, but this is more than that. He is much more active than any other kid his age and we are wondering if he may be ADHD.. I hope he isn't be I do know he has much more energy than other kids his age. So, I need some help with disciplining, I prefer positive discipline but I need to know if that actually works. I use time out on him, or at least I try, taking things away, ect.. but I would like to try positive discipline. The is my 1st and only child, so I am always learning better ways to do things because I never had any experience with children before I had my son. I just want to do everything right to raise him right. I want to thank everyone, in advance, for the advice.

BalletBarbie

Asked by BalletBarbie at 7:45 AM on Aug. 19, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is no manual that comes with each child when they are born. It's a live and learn process for both parents and their kids. You will make mistakes but you will learn from them. ADD/ADHD is a genetic disorder and is NOT a death sentence like some people think. I can trace it through all my nieces, nephews, siblings and even my parents and me. You can control it with medication. Sometimes behavior therapy works. Jed Baker wrote several books about kids with ADD/ADHD and Asperger's Syndrome. Check out some of his books via Amazon. My kids have been counseled by his staff using his philosophy and techniques and have made tremendous progress and change.

As far as his energy, get him out and running around in the afternoon before dinner and try cutting down on his nap time. If he has energy let him run it out. Give him something to focus on. Go run outside and pick up some leaves and bring them to you.

con't --
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:22 AM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Throw a ball and let him run and catch it, like you would with a dog. He will burn out his energy and when he returns the ball praise him. Stay away from sweets and high sugary foods after a certain time so it doesn't increase his metabolism.

He could help you with chores in the house, easy ones. Praise him after each chore and reward him with something he likes to do, but not with food or toys. More mommy or daddy time. If he is really progressing take him to a zoo or someplace he wants to go, even Chucky Cheese.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:26 AM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Thank you very very much robinkane for your comments. Yes, I know about ADD/ADHD because it also runs in my family. My brother had it, so my Mother has been telling me about a lot of her experiences. I do try filling his energy, everyday, so that he doesn't get into as much trouble. I usually, take him to the playground to play with his friends, to play ball with him, read to him, teach him colors and numbers, we do crafts together, and much much more. See, it also hard on me because when I was 3 mths. pregnant my gyno. diagnosed me with Hypothyroidism, so I am very tired everyday. I have changed my diet to all healthy foods and exercise as much as possible to try to keep some energy up, so that, I am able to do more activities with my son. But even when I take him to the playground for 3 hours, he still comes home with as much energy as when he left. I just need some ideas of positive discipline when he will not listen.Thank
    BalletBarbie

Comment by BalletBarbie (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Aug. 19, 2012