Hello my name is Michelle I'm from Los Angeles I'm moving to martinsburg wv and I was wondering what type of environment its Like over there. I'm 25 mixed (blk and Wht) is there a lot of racism? Or is it pretty cool? Coming from L.A I know it's going to be a drastic change but I just wanna prepare myself

Oliver87

Asked by Oliver87 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2012 in Pregnancy

• SPLC reports of racism in the State of West Virgina.

Martinsburg, WV
    Kendra Sulick, 38, was convicted of three civil rights violations for harassing her black neighbors with racial slurs and threats between December 2007 and April 2009.

Legal Developments

06/10/2010

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• That's not good
    Oliver87

Comment by Oliver87 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• It really is not that bad. There has been none reported in 2011 and 2012
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 1:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Yeah- it really isn't that bad- they have 6 incidents in my state in the past 24 months

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Thank u I feel a little better :-)
    Oliver87

Comment by Oliver87 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Its nice area. I am 45 minutes away and have family living over there in Charles Town. It has changed alot. All my mother's family is from Charlestown, Ranson and Martinsburg.

When my brother moved over there more than 10 years ago he took his 2 children from DC in a nighborhood where they did not interact with any other race of people except AA's and they had a horrible time and dealt with alot of racism. He only lived for 4 months there to finish out the school year than back to DC.

My cousins on my father side have moved that way, raised their children and said it has changed alot more miniorites have moved there and just like any other area, you will encounter people with issues with those not like them.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Here you go, everything you would need to know about the area: http://www.clrsearch.com/Martinsburg_Demographics/WV/

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Thank u everyone for the insight it's highly appreciated
    Oliver87

Comment by Oliver87 (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• I live in WV though, not exactly the exact same area, but anyway, we have no racism, that i see here. We have 2 black families at our church (there is also an Afircan American church down the road from us) and some mixed children attend our church.
    Across the river, in Steubenville Ohio (20 minutes from me) there is a bit more crime, and there are more colored families.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 20, 2012