Does your school ask you to buy supplies?

I keep hearing/seeing people complain about the amount of supplies that their kid's school asks/requires them to buy. Our school doesn't ask us to provide anything accept a book bag if our student chooses to carry one. They provide everything else. So I'm always a little shocked to hear about these lists... What kind of stuff is on them?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2012 in

• Last year the lists contained things like pencils, markers, kleenes, lysol wipes. I'm still waiting on this years list hope it gets here this week. I get everything we can afford; I don't complain about it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• yes
    notebooks,pencils,folders,binders,copy paper,markers,glue sticks,pens,ruler,kleenex,Lysol wipes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• My kids aren't in school but we always had a supply list when I was little. We were expected to have our own pencils, pens, paper, folders, ect.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Depends on what grade the child is in but elementary it's things like, crayons, washable markers, colored pencils, glue sticks, kleenex etc.
    Middle school, Calculator, rulers, paper, graph paper, Pencils, pens, locker fees, floppy discs etc. List goes on!!

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Notebooks 8 single subject 3 five subject, 8 composition books, pencils, pens, colored pencils, dry erase markers, index cards, hand sanitizer, kleenex, graphing calculator, crayons, ziploc bags, a CD-RW, flash drive, loose leaf paper, binders, graph paper, folders, ruler, pencil case, protractor and chemistry goggles. For the younger ones they also need scissors. Oh and my oldest son is required to have a clear or mesh backpack. Then we will have to add in the cost of gym clothes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• WOW! I can see things like a calculator or pens in older grades - we did have to buy that stuff in HS - because it's PERSONAL and OPTIONAL. But our school does now, and always has, provided the basics that we NEEDED - paper, pencils, rulers... I really don't understand why these schools are requiring/asking parents to buy this stuff... Our school is in a low income area and school taxes are only $10/yr. But they have enough to make sure that the students have what they need...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• Oh yeah forgot about the glue. Four 8oz. bottles and six glue sticks each. I don't complain about the lists and I buy what I can. Highlighter and erasers too. Forgot those. This is the first year I am struggling to get it all.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• GYM CLOTHES? Good lord! Gym Clothes in elem. here is whatever they wore that day. And in MS & HS they can take whatever t-shirt and pants or shorts they want to for gym, so long as they change from what they wore to school... Obviously swimming needs a swim suit too... But that's not til HS.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• My ds is in pre k and they don't ask for any
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 7:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2012

• They provide all the paper, pencils, pens, crayons, markers, glue notebooks, pencil holders (bag) erasers?

Where do you live because I have lived in a lot of places and been to public and private schools and ALL of them require you buy the child's suppies.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2012