Maybe a silly question?

For the Jewish ladies here. Is it disrespectful to refer to Jewish people as Jews? I know everyone does it, but it seems really disrespectful to me. Also, the first time I heard the term it was from the same teacher that told us (in 3rd grade no less) that gay people "prefer to be called queers", so you can see how I wouldn't trust his judgement.

AnnieMcD

Asked by AnnieMcD at 9:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Jew and that is how we refer to ourselves. It is not disrespectful in any way. It is how people say it and what they say that can be disrespectful. Phrases like "Jew you down" are certainly derogatory.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm not Jewish, but I consider "Jew" to be derogatory. As I was growing up, that word was used as the N-word was -- never complimentary. I use Jewish with my friends.
    su_kay

Answer by su_kay at 9:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I say Jewish too. it takes only a millisecond to add the ish to jew, so why not just say Jewish? And yes it seems derogatory. But i never asked a jewish friend, so i really don't know how they feel about it.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Not that I usually classify people by their religions, but I would think the same way as the first responder. If I were to describe my friend I would say he was Jewish, not a Jew.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm not Jewish but I don't see how it would be... I don't think it's usually the word itself that is offencive but the usage... Gay, Queer, Jew, Witch, Preacher... They all have the power to be negative IF used in that fashion.  So to say that it's disrespectful, I don't think so...  It's how the word is being used that COULD make it so.

And BTW...  The only silly or stupid question is the one not asked.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm not really sure if they care or not.. I really don't care if someone calls me a Mic because I'm Irish, but there are words I don't like to be called.. the "C" word for one... just because I have one, doesn't mean I want to be called that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• And BTW... The only silly or stupid question is the one not asked.

lol... your so right!!! I enjoy listening to many of your responces.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I say Jewish when I am refurring to anyone who is Jewish. Very good question
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thank you Marwill. I understand any word can be derogatory if used in a disrespectful manner, but I did wonder about just the word itself. Your answer is helpful beyond words!
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 11:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thank you Marwill.  The question had me thinking as well.  Your answer was most helpful.

To the OP:  Good question!  Thanks for asking it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2009