Which GPS is best?

I am looking for an affordable GPS navigation system for my car. The only must-have features that come to mind are turn-by-turn directions that call out streets by name (ex: turn in 50 yards at Washington Road) and a system that is user-friendly. Does anyone have any recommendations for me, or even suggestions on which model NOT to get? We're looking at Garmin, Tom Tom and Magellan.

muse76

Asked by muse76 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Shopping

• DO NOT GET A MAGELLAN! Mine was so outdated that I had to pay 80 dollars to upgrade my maps the day I started using it. And until it broke(yeah!) it got me lost pretty much everytime I used it. And considering it until it dies tried taking me acrossed a bridge in Charleston that hasn't even been here in 4-5 years it still registered it. It sucked.

I recommend Garmin. That's my new one and it's wonderful.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have a Garmin and LOVE it. I need to get it updated since it's been about 2 years since I've purchased it, but it is awesome. Very easy to use, even while driving (I know I shouldn't do that, but whatever!), and it gives turn-by-turn instructions.

I think I have the Nuvi 260, which speaks street names and has preloaded maps for North America. It's $300, but totally worth it. I can load all sorts of locations where I go all the time, friends addresses, our house address, ect. Plus there are settings for avoiding highways, shortest distance and quickest route.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We have a Tom Tom and love it- but it doesn't speak the street name just says "turn left in_ # yards". When I was deciding which one to get I went to Target.com, Walmart.com and Amazon and read the user reviews to figure out what one was best for us.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I just purchased a Garmin 260. It has great reviews, plus it's discounted at Costco online for a limited time only. You might to go check it out at costco.com
    tatar

Answer by tatar at 6:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2009