Do you save a specific percentage of your income?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 9:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2012 in Money & Work

• Yes, I have money directed to my 401k and employee stock purchase plan. DH did the same till he became self employed.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2012

• I wish. With my DH if we have any money left after hin getting payed I am shocked.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2012

• We have saved atleast 10% of our income since my husband has been working a job with benefits and decent money. He is 25 and have over $50,000 saved for retirement. I'm pretty proud of him :) He has it taken out of his paycheck, so we never see it so we dont miss it.
    Watch_me_burn

Answer by Watch_me_burn at 10:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2012

• Yes! I put away $200 every two weeks into a savings that can not touch for long term and $60 in a raining day acct for just in case purposes...I have to discipline myself and geesh...lol its hard lol ut I am managing
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2012

• Yes. The past two years I have been saving almost 40% of my paycheck. We have been living very frugally due to the economy. Never know whose job is gonna go next.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 20, 2012

• We can't. We're self employed so it's feast or famine. There are some months when we are making tons of money, and some when there's hardly any income at all. I always pay extra to our mortgage and whenever we have extra money, we save it. We always keep a decent amount in savings so there's breathing room for times when there's not much coming in.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:58 PM on Aug. 20, 2012

• 3% for us for the last ten years.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:04 PM on Aug. 20, 2012

• Yes and no. We have a certain percentage taken out of my dh's paycheck to go into his 401K. Above that we save a certain amount every month, but I've never calculated the percentage.

Answer by missanc at 3:36 PM on Aug. 20, 2012