• In the Spotlight:

i would like to ask you what happened to the Indians that lived here first

what i am trying to ask is what my grams asked me. what happened to the indians that was here before the white or any others. they were forgotten.. you here of the first black presendent. well what i am asking is what happen to the people who were here first. why are they forgotten? grams wanted to know why they were forgotten. there is on indian's day etc
please this was not intended to hurt any one i am asking for grams.
thank you for reading this

1sonnybaby

Asked by 1sonnybaby at 10:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They were all killed, kicked out, or turned to slaves. And then forgotten.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• They choose to not stand out in the crowed. They can do what the people of America do, no one stop's them. Here in Canada they have right's beyond ours, they don't pay the same taxes, and they get there college educations paid for by the Gov. I think that's pretty good!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• ah most were killed either by the settlers or died from diseases they pick up from them. The rest were kicked off their land and now the descendants live on government controlled reservations. So pretty much the govt is still screwing them over.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• They're still here. They get many breaks from the government. I know for a fact that the Seminole Indian children get a few thousand dollars each month. I'm not sure if that comes from their reservation, or the government.
    We took their land all those years ago, they deserve compensation. That being said, the world just continues to evolve and that's just how life goes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You can ask the same question about Alaska Natives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The Indians are a PERFECT example of what happens to you when you let ILLEGAL aliens run amok. They welcomed the white man in and helped him when he couldn't support himself and OMG look what happened to them!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm right here. :) I'm 50% Native American - Cherokee and Blackfoot - and my grandparents on my maternal side are 100%. I think that many of them, atleast the ones that I have come in contact with, choose to not speak out because nothing is accomplished, in their eyes, by constant bitching. The world is a completely different place than it was in the 1500s and they recognize that things will never go back to their historic ways. Do we feel like our ancestors were treated infairly? Absolutely. Can we go back and change it? No.

Perhaps some of them get special treatment from the government, but my family never did. We live like any other American does and we always have. My mom refused to sign us up for governmental scrutiny in the Native American rolls, because she said that we shouldn't get special treatment because of our heritage. We should simply be proud of it.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 10:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• We are still here living our lives. My ancestors had a hard time of it as have many others ancestors. No one has harmed me and I won't hold the white people today responsible for what happened to my ancestors none of you did a thing to me or them. Seems we need to remember the past but keep looking forward to move past that. My husband works, I take care of the kids and we pay our taxes. We have a great life one we made for ourselves. Everyone has an opportunity to make it today if they want to. The past is not what holds them back it is the dwelling on their ancestors past that does.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'm 50% Native American - Cherokee and Blackfoot - and my grandparents on my maternal side are 100%

Are your parents? Wouldn't that make you 25% Not-50. One of your parents would have to be Native american to make you 50%. I was just wondering
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• ""The Indians are a PERFECT example of what happens to you when you let ILLEGAL aliens run amok. They welcomed the white man in and helped him when he couldn't support himself and OMG look what happened to them!""

I am 25%Indian. And Yes, that is what happened. That is why I don't mind the Mexican immigrants, legal or not. THEY are true Natives (a lot of them are descendants from the Native Americans that got run out of the U.S.)of this Continent. Not Whites, Blacks, Asians etc. The BROWN man evolved here!

So I just think that the "ILLEGAL PROBLEM" is just history repeating itself. What's wrong with that? Turnabout is fair play, after all!
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2009