Help: Storing Breastmilk

Hi ladies! I am due to have my 3rd child this June and I really want to breastfeed him for more than a few months like I did with my other children.

I would like to store breastmilk in the freezer for times when I can sneak away without baby.

What have you found to work the best for storing breastmilk? (bags, glass containers, plastic containers?)

Thanks!

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 10:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have used the Lansinoh bags. They are cheaper than the storage bottles and you can stack them.

My suggestion if you use them ... measure out the amt. you pump in a bottle first, then write it on the bag. I've noticed that the bag doesn't measure very well.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I always used the Lansinoh storage bags. They were sturdy and easy to thaw in warm water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Bags. :) they are easy to use. I would store them in 2 and 4 oz increments, never more so they didn't go to waste because once it's reheated, that's it.!

Also, don't start pumping before the baby is born lol.. there's no milk there. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I sent you an e-mail over this,really good adivce from a friend in the UK,hope it helps:>)
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I use bags, and the bottles that came with my pump, both are easy, but i've found that when it comes to thawing out the milk, bags work SOOOOO much easier, and in less time!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I use glass canning jars then put in the freezer, if you do not fill them to the top there will not brake when the milk freezes and expands. I fell glass is safer then plactic!!
    Dawn1000

Answer by Dawn1000 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You know, come to think of it, I always used plastic bags and bottles, but we were talking about the glass thing. I think you should check into that. Once you freeze it, it is good for 6 months, I think. You thaw it using warm (not hot) water, so you kind of have to think ahead. Also, don't nuke it, b/c from what I understand, it ruins some of the good stuff in the breastmilk. Love ya, Case!
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 4:54 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• bags! :)
    kayjay8806

Answer by kayjay8806 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2009