This will ruffle some feathers...

I am glad to see the changes.... this country was not founded on Christianity alone..
and now it looks like "ALL" religions will acknowledged...

I really like this part of the article...
""I had a father who was born a Muslim but became an atheist, grandparents who were non-practicing Methodists and Baptists, and a mother who was skeptical of organized religion, even as she was the kindest, most spiritual person I've ever known. She was the one who taught me as a child to love, and to understand, and to do unto others as I would want done," he said. "

Your thoughts ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090205/ap_on_go_pr_wh/rel_obama_faith_based

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 10:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my thoughts after reading this.. "oh okay.. and this is going to ruffle feathers? Next."
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Everyone has their right to religion. I believe america was based on Christianity. However- I know not everyone thinks that so I"m not pressing anything on anyone! :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

Yea how????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• no actually this country was founded on christianity alone (the founding fathers based their laws on Christian laws). protestant christianity was the only "accpeted" religion. everyone was allowed to come to this country with supposed freedom of religion, but it was more of a "tolerance" of other religions. if you were anything other than protestant christian, often times you could not get good paying jobs, you were not allowed to marry into "good" families (meaning families with money). often times you were discrimated against (hence the later law that you cannot discriminate based on age, religion, nationality, etc)
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• ALL religions are already acknowledged. Obama didn't just come into office and start something new. I'm not even sure Obama knows what he is (as far as faith goes).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• "do unto others" too funny coming from a man who supporst funding the murder of thousands of inncoent children each year, not only in our country, but in countries around the world. What if his mother had decided to abort him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Can you list the source that talks about the other religions that founded the country?
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 10:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The country wasn't founded on Christianity alone. That's just a fact. And I think that's where this may "ruffle some feathers".

Sure Christianity influenced part of our country's development but so did other beliefs. The laws we have were based on ideas present throughout several religions, not just Christianity alone. The biggest influence Christianity had was to ensure our government did not establish any religion which leads to persecution as was taking place all over Europe. I have a journal entry on it.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1269818/U_S_NOT_founded_on_Christian_principles

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• "no actually this country was founded on christianity alone (the founding fathers based their laws on Christian laws). "

Actually, if you want to get technical about this, the founding fathers based our form of government & our country's laws on the Jewish legal system. Think about it, much of our current legal system today comes straight out of the "Old Testament" or Torah. Of course, I don't think anybody would own up to that fact and would go out of their way to show how Christianity & Judaism are different, but whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• No matter how hard you want to believe it, you cannot change history. The founding fathers were not all Christians, and they intentionally wanted religion to have nothing to do with the government. Read the federalist papers - the essays they used to convince all of the states to ratify the constitution. They did not want religion involved at all, because they did not want government to have anything to do with morality in the first place.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009