How long after birth till it's OK to wipe normal? aigh!

I had my baby Saturday...I have stitches, but I don't know how long it takes for them to dissolve. Regardless, even if they are not dissolved completely, when is it OK to wipe normal again? Instead of the "hosing off" and patting dry? Is it just when I feel OK to go ahead and wipe normal?

What a weird question. haha Thanks.

ErinMarie123

Asked by ErinMarie123 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• LOL. I wondered the same thing too. I just went by how I felt. If it didn't hurt to wipe, then I wiped. But, that's wasn't until at least a week and a half after I had my son. I am a wuss when it comes to pain! LOL!! But it was way better than the pain I suffered from my c-section the first time around!! I'd talk to your doctor if you're concerned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I patted and squirted until my lochia slowed down. Although, I must say, I enjoyd the squirt down and patting because it helped me feel cleaner with all the sticky goopy blood down there. It would wipe normally when you feel it's okay.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would say do it based on your comfort level. I've never heard of anybody saying NOT to wipe for a certain period of time.

MAN I hate post partum!!!!
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 10:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If I remember right, I waited about 2-3 weeks, because I was a BIG chicken and didn't want to ruin the doctor's good work down south! Once the pain eased up and the bleeding slowed down is when I think I went back to "normal". Good luck!
    nlonnon

Answer by nlonnon at 10:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I would say to go ahead and wipe when you are comfortable and not feeling any pain. I know that I waited at least two weeks, but your comfort level might be different. Oh the joys that come after a baby, right? LOL! I know they are a blessing, but who knew post partum could be so difficult? Good Luck, and I am sure it'll all work out nicely =) Congrats on your little one =)
    Charlie98

Answer by Charlie98 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think I waited until after the check up where they checked my stitches to make sure I wasn't getting an infection.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• With my first i was horrified about this! The squirting and patting was what i mainly done for about a week or two! When you feel comfortable getting up and down you might could try! i confess i squirted and patted for awhile because i was scared of infection. Even after i started wiping noraml i squirted and then wiped for a few weeks with my second because i was so scared of infection! Do what feels right to you!!!
    cortneydmorris

Answer by cortneydmorris at 11:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• 2 or 3 weeks... you dont want to hurt anything down there...
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 1:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i just started wiping when i felt comfortable enough to.....which was usually 5-6 days after giving birth when the swelling was down.
    timandisaacsmom

Answer by timandisaacsmom at 5:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2009