Is it okay to drink alcohol while breastfeeding?

I know, this should be a no duh kind of question, but I have a friend who will occasionally get drunk even though she is breastfeeding. She said her husband found an article online that said alcohol does NOT go into your breastmilk so pumping and dumping is really just for your peace in mind. Has anyone else heard this? I was also told to drink very little, but I did not think about it ever saying alchohol doesnt end up in breastmilk. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When alcohol is gone from your blood, it is gone from your milk. If you are okay to drive, you are okay to nurse. Now, with that said, DONT NURSE IF YOUR DRUNK But having a glas or two of wine or a couple cocktails are okay. Eat something after you drink, and wait about an hour if you want to put your mind at ease.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Anything the mom takes, the baby gets, too.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 10:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Alcohol DOES get into your BM, however it then leaves your BM just as it leaves your blood. Drinking a couple drinks occasionally isn't bad, but I think flat out getting drunk and nursing is not only irresponsible, but dangerous.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The first answer is right! I have nursed two children. Once they no longer nursed during the night, I resumed my glass of wine at night. But if you drink then immediately nurse, you are totally getting your baby alchohol, kind of. Its like cooking with wine, you get the flavor, depending on how much you use,there can be a lingering amount of alchohol.
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 10:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• it does get into your breastmilk so getting drunk and then feeding baby isnt smart but you can saftly consume a couple drinks and then eat and wait a hour or so and breastfeed them. You just dont wana sit and drink till you are stupid and then breastfeed your baby right away.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Watch what you drink though. Like, I'll have a glass of wine and wait a few hours to feed my daughter and she is fine. But, one time I had a margarita and I guess since tequila is stronger, 8 hours later I BF my daughter and it made her throw up so bad for like an hour or so.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If she wants to get drunk, that's her choice. Just don't nurse until you are sober. Pumping and dumping IS a waste of time, milk, and energy. Only pump if you are missing a feeding and need to keep up supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009