Need some advice.

We have a 6m/o black lab mix puppy. She is very hyper and is constantly nipping at my kids when they are running and playing. I have been thinking about getting another dog for her to play with in hopes that it may calm her down. She is constantly digging under our fence to get to the dogs that live around us. Is it smart to get another dog around the same age for her to have a companion? I have watched my parent's dogs for the weekend a couple of times and that seems to be the calmest that Stella has ever been having them to play with.

txmom1021

Asked by txmom1021 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Pets

• If you get another rambunxious puppy...they may just feed off each other's energy. It might not calm her down at all. Having 1 puppy to train is hard enough.

If your parents are cool with it, I'd see if I could have their dogs over one day a week or something for playdates. I think it's awesome that they all get along like that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If you get another dog I woudl make it an older, calmer dog - maybe one for a shelter that is already good wth kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Labs are very active. They are born to RUN,fetch and loves the water. How old are the kids? If they are old enough to walk your pup on a leach then have them do that. Dogs need walking on a daily exercise programme to make them happy. Even if they have a back yard to play in. When they are bored they dig. The energy needs to be expelled to make your pup a good dog. maybe older kids on blk will take your dog for the walk or to go to the dog park. Just like your kids they need to play. If you have other dogs that can come over and play and all get along , that is a wonderful way to expel negative energy. That's positive energy when they walk, run, play and be a dog. That's what they are. It's  almost the same with kids. worn out kids are happy. Worn out dogs are happy. Supervise time with kids and dog so no one gets hurt.Turn all this into a good thing for all. Good luck, and God bless

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Getting another puppy is a BAD idea! :) Can you imagine dealing with two of them in the house when neither of them have any manners? What you need to do is get this pup under control first by starting obedience training classes and really making sure she gets a good outlet for her energy every single day. Too many people think that turning a dog out in the backyard to play is enough. It is NOT. They need interaction and physical exercise as well as mental stimulation. Just like kids really... Lots of long walks and fetch sessions, smart toys like Kongs and Buster Cubes, etc.. A tired puppy is a well behaved puppy and Labs have lots of energy, so you need to figure out ways to get her the exercise she needs. Adding another puppy to the mix will jsut give you two unruly dogs to try to train.. Once she is older and listens well, then think about a friend.. Trust me.....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009