why are you so against "Pageant Moms"

I dont see why you all have to judge us like what we do is "child abuse", My daughter LOVES doing the pageants and if she was to tell me she didnt want to do it then she wouldnt have to, I dont force her to do it, she loves getting her nails done, having her hair fixed pretty, etc. Why is it so bad for my daughter to enjoy being a princess, the way every little girl should?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Im not against pageant moms at all, I am going to put my DD in pageants also but I am NOT goinng to do the fake teeth, hair pieces, and spray tans. I think little girls should feel like a princess and I also think that they are beautiful without a ton of makeup.
    I think fingernail polish and some lipgloss is fine, my DD is 15 months old and she has her toenails painted all the time! she loves being girly!
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 10:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I am with ya so long as the child is enjoying there selves why not let them. I think alot of moms have a misconception of what really goes on. Not all moms, tell there daughters they have to win, or they are not beautiful if they don't put on makeup/ have nails done/ pretty teeth/ ect. Some moms do it b/c there daughters enjoy it. But alot of that has come about since the murder of the little girl. Before that most ppl didn't even realize chidren got as dressed up as they did or even cared for that matter. But that is just my opionion. My sd is 12 but for awhile she liked pagents when she didn't like it anymore we didn't make her go, if my 3 yo wants to one day go she will be able to to (providing we can afford it at the time). But that is just me.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Because the ones portrayed on TV go too far. The moms are prancing around coaching their daughters to be little women with make-up and hairspray at 5 years old. It's disturbing to me. If the moms love pageants that much, then they should be the ones prancing around the stage. Seems like a lot of stress for such a young age. I can't think of anything positive it teaches the little girls...

I can build my little girl's confidence and self-esteem without pageants.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I was watching a show on TLC 2 nights ago about little girls in pageants. It wasn't a negative showw, just followed the little girls around while they practiced, got ready and went through the pageant. After watching that I vowed NEVER to put a child through that! The one little girl was only 2 years old and of course she like looking like a princess but she HATED getting ready, her mom had to practically drag her on stage but once she was on stage she had fun. It was just so sad to see her screaming while her hair was getting done and her make-up and everything. Then it showed them practicing out in the back yard. She just dropped to the ground and threw a fit. It was obvious she wasn't having fun unless she was on stage and that only lasted 30 seconds. The mom said "oh she LOVES pageants!! I would not make her do them unless she loved it and the day she tells me she doesn't want to we'll stop".....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• IMO, children should be judged on their inner beauty. I personally don't have anything against pageants but for the little ones, under 13, I don't think make-up, sexy outfits, fake teeth, etc... is necessary. Natural beauty and talent as well as inner beauty should be stressed.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with it as long as the child is having fun and it's what she wants. I think the reason people have a problem with it is because there are a lot of mom's who will do anything to win and if their child doesn't win they treat their kids very badly.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• im not against pageants mom as matter of fact if i had the money i would put my DD in pageants she loves watching that show on TLC i might try and enter her in a small one when i get some extra cash
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well it was pretty aparent she didn't want to do them!

The other little girl was probably 5 and she had to get a mani/pedi, a fake tan, a hair peice, she had a personal trainor, they spent $800 on her dress alone, ... It was just so sad to watch her. You could tell she liked doing the pageants but she looked like a troll! She had no personality on stage, it was just her steps and twirls that the trainor tought her. She walked extremely unnatural looking on stage. Just the whole thing was sad!!

I gues that is why. It starts out as something fun and cute but before you know it you are putting a ton of make-up, tanning spray, and fake eye lashes on your toddler and dumping a ton of money into training and outfits, to only go on stage for 30 secs at a time and compete for the most beautiful! It is rediculous. The worst part is that the moms won't accept a mess up. They drill these little girls to do everything perfectly!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Because the kids look like little tramps. Sorry, but it's true. Don't try to fool yourselves by labeling it as "princesses". They're little girls, not play things.

Hookers in training..................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• OK, I had my oldest daughter start in pageants. MANY Moms THINK their daughters LOVE it, many are blinded by the real effects it has on the daughter. If it is truly being enjoyed by the child, which is more the exception, then fine. But MANY and the majority of the girls think that they will be letting their Mom down if they don't like it, it is trying to please the Mom and NOT the child. I have lived this and saw it first hand. My daughter was 4 in her first pageant, another contestant SPIT on her and said "I'm going to win, I always win", of course I confronted the Mom and her response was "well she will win, she always does". SAD!! If the Mom can be objective and the child doesn't feel threatened, the child will actually NOT like the pageant life. My two daughters are princesses WITHOUT all of that vanity!!

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2009