What is the going rate for a babysitter?

I have two children, ages 3 and 22mos. Looking for a babysitter for my husband and I to have the occasional date night. We are in Massachusetts...no idea how much is fair to pay someone. Any ideas? The kids will be sleeping most of the time...

romanojm

Asked by romanojm at 10:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in About CafeMom

• check out care.com. you can find local people and local prices. there are all sorts and types of sitters you can search through.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I pay $10/hour for two 17 month olds in Texas, which is probably on the high end here. I use a college girl who works at a daycare, but I could probably find a high school girl to do it cheaper if I felt comfortable with that. I think my sister who lives in New Hampshire pays about the same as I do (she also uses a college girl).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I use a flat rate normally for a night out from lets say 6pm til 11pm I give them $50.

Answer by gemgem at 11:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• This is why we don't go on dates :( $10/hr is outrageous!! I can't afford to pay someone and be able to have a nice dinner or whatever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'd pay them what minimum wage is in your state. Like here in wa its 8.55 an hour. I don't see how babysitting is anymore complicated then working at mcdonalds inless there is a bunch of children to watch.
    aameliaz

Answer by aameliaz at 12:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• wow, 10 bucks! i'm charging 5!!! and i still cant get business!!!
    avasmommy120307

Answer by avasmommy120307 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2009