Which is safer for a car seat - seat belt in the middle, or LATCH on the side?

I know that using the LATCH system is safer than using a seat belt, and I know that the middle is the safest place, which means that using the LATCH system in the middle is the safest way to install a car seat. But our car that had the LATCH system did not have it in the middle and specifically said not to use the side hooks for a seat in the middle position. So what's the safest way to go in that situation?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 10:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What type of car do you have? Look on the statistics on side impact crashes for your car. I would base my decision off of that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Seat belt in the middle.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 10:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i always say seat belt in the middle you can get that car seat just as tight as the latch system can.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The middle. LATCH is just to make it easier to install correctly. It's not any safer. The middle is still the safest place to be.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• DO you really think the middle is safer? I will change....I always just thought the seat would protect them more if there was a front impact collision....
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 12:42 PM on Feb. 5, 2009