Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question that came from the "Where you adopted" question...

I was reading about the birth cert things, and am wondering.... like when I gave my baby up I never did the whole birth certificate thing, if he does have an obc with my name on it.... what is his name on it and such??? anyone have any info on this?

Answer Question

Asked by mikeyjavimami21 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • if you gave the baby up that may of been took care of in the legal paperwork.
    However,if you have a question contact where you gave birth or the records department in your city or county area or who assisted with the adoption,like a lawyer or agency.

    Answer by Baby1114 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I am adopted. I don't know if it's still like this but I have two birth certificates. One that lists my adoptive parents as my parents and another sealed birth certificate that lists my birth parents. The only way I can gain access to the sealed birth certificate is if my birth parents consent to it.

    Answer by momof2girlz33 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • When my daughter was born her birthmother and birthfater were on the birth certificate with her birth name. After she was adopted we got a new birth ceritficate with mine name and her fathers name on it. Not sure if this helps ya. Maybe it is different state to state.

    Answer by Dannee at 11:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • That's a good question...I wondered that about my daughter's original birth cert. I know her Bioparents names would be on it, but if they didn't name her, then what would it say for her name? I don't know, maybe they did name her and that's what on it?????

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I believe I read somewhere that if they didn't name her the birth certificate could just say "Baby Girl/Boy and the BPs last name.

    Answer by muptgirl at 12:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • everyone has an original. usually they have you fill it out before you leave because you as the mom (which you were until you signed the final papers) has to sign the form. I am wondering who is signing these original forms if the birthmoms are not? They brought me the form & told me to fill it out & provide a name if I wanted to (I did) If you dont provide a name it just says baby boy or girl and your last name. Then after the adoption is final, they issue it with the adoptive parents names & whatever name they chose. the "original" one is then sealed. Its NOT destroyed like it never exsisted. Its the system. and when the child is of age they can request it in most states (my understanding of it)

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I was lucky enough to find a copy of OBC in the county court house. My OBC names my Nmom and her husband as my parents. My name was listed as unavailable.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • In most states birth mothers are able to request and receive the OBC of the child that they relinquished for adoption. It will have your information as birth mother and if you chose not to provide a name for your child it will most likely show Baby (boy/girl) and your last name. I would highly encourage birth parents to request a copy of the OBC as most states make it highly impossible for adult adoptees to receive this document (although some states are relaxing their stance on this). OBC's are NEVER destroyed, they are sealed and a new birth certificate is issued upon finalization of the adoption showing the names of the adoptive parents and mother and father along with the (new) name of the adoptee.

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • PA1969. I think you are mistaken. I don't think the birth parents can get copies of sealed OBC's either. When I relinquished I was told that the adoption would be finalized in 6 months and if I wanted a copy I had to get it before then. Which I did.

    Answer by onethentwins at 4:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

  • I know in Colorado, the only way to obtain an OBC is if both the bparents and the adoptee sign a form, have it notarized and then send it in to the state with a $35 fee. It then comes in the mail in six to eight weeks.

    Answer by casjoh at 4:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.