my 4 year wont poop in the potty NEED ADVICE

i dont know what to do anymore, he rather poop in the floor then hide it. i tried taking him every 10 min and making him sit, i tried rewards, i tried just about everything. im at my wits end im starting to think something is wrong with him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With our son I think it was learning to push sitting down rather than how most diaper and pull-up kids poop (standing up)...and he was afraid of pooping on the potty because it was a big 'sucking hole' as he called it and could suck him in too. We have toys that he can have when he poops in the potty and when he does a stand and deliver they get put away. It takes time to over come these little fears but patience will win out - after all how many grown ups do you know that are not poopin on the potty? LOL
    mystic-mom

Answer by mystic-mom at 11:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter wouldn't poop on the potty for the longest time! I took away diapers because she could pee fine and never had accidents there. She would just hold her poop. She refused to go on the potty and there was nowhere else for her to go so she held it until it HAD to come out! It hurt everytime she pooped because of this and that only made the problem worse. I had to convince her that it isn't scary to go on the potty and that if she goes it isn't going to hurt anymore. After a few weeks she realized that if she poops regularly it doesn't hurt nearly as bad and just started going on her own. I guess you need to find out the reason he doesn't like the potty for pooping. My daughter was terrrified of pooping on the potty, that could be his problem. Just be encouraging!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My oldest dd had this problem and her pediatrician said some kids feel like the poop is an extention of their body so they dont want to flush it because they think its something they need. Weird right? What you need to do is emphasize its yucky and poop and nothing he has to keep. I ended up putting my dd in underwear and she refused to poop in them. She held it for 3 days and then ran to the bathroom and went and flushed.

Answer by gemgem at 11:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Nothing is wrong with him.
    Have you taking his toys away from him everytime he poops on the floor?
    Have you made him sit in the bathroom and on the toilet forever until he just can't hold it anymore.
    Do you have any friends that have kids around the same age that uses the potty successfully, maybe take him over for a play date and let him see what he is doing?
    Have you tried other family members doing the potty training for a day or two?
    My mom took a book for kids, and showed her a picture that at the age of 4 kids should be eating vegtables, going potty in the toilet, and cleaning their toys, and sleeping all night in their own bed. IT WORKED, cuz grandma said so.
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 11:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• This is actually pretty common. Try having "poop play". Take several colors of playdoh and have fun mixing them up to see if you can get "poop brown". Then have fun thinking of silly, wrong places to put poop. Also, get a copy of "Everyone Poops" and read it often. Most libraries and bookstores have it in stock since it is VERY popular with kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2009