What to do about an infected toe?

My husband cut his toe nails too short now he has a red bump on one toe and it is red and hot to the touch. Any ideas or should I make him go to the doctor? It's never fun getting him to a doctor...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Health

• I would do some research online before going to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• What we did was lift the tonail a bit and stuff cotton under it to raise the corner of the nail. It should drain. If it continues to be infected and doesn't drain,you may need to go to the doctor to have it drained. Soaking in hot water may help also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I know in grown finger nails, I use warm water mixed with some salt. Soak it for a few minutes. If it hasn't gone down after a day or two then it is probably a little worse, and you need to go to the dr.
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 11:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• This happens to be and my hubby a lot! and, Most peole dont know about it, but I found this out when I got my belly button periced..for infection use Lavender..the REALLY stuff..put the Lavender is some water, and warm it up..NOT to hot..Then useing a cotton ball soak it it the lavender and place it on the infected area..or you can sit the foot in the water..for about 10mins 2-3times aday..it will push the infection out..Might have to open the red bubble up some..but, it will feel better..Good Luck
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• ingrown toe nail...try the cotton under the nail to help lift it. But he may just have to have it cut out.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2009