My 13 year old son was recently diagnosed with ADHD, I need advice on medication. My insurance will not cover ADHD medicine so cost is a concern. Thank you in advance!

yukonmomof2

Asked by yukonmomof2 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You could always go to a natur0path or homeopathic specialist. I *personally* would avoid medications as much as possible. I would use all natural sources first, and if those failed go to medicines. :) This is just my opinion though. There are tons of natural products, diet changes, etc, that can help with adhd, it's all in how much you are willing to research and try and your patience.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• What kind of advice? My kids both have ADHD, and both are on meds. Are you sure the meds aren't covered? The first step would be to find out which one the dr wants to prescribe, and check with the ins. co. I know the meds are expensive, but if that's what you have to do to help your child, then you have to do it. But, before you begin doing all that, what else have you tried to help treat it? Have you tried changing his diet, any supplements (fish oil, omega's), anything? I would strongly recommend saving meds as a last resort, b/c they do come with side effects, and they are very expensive to pay for yourself. I've had to pay for my kids meds myself, $250 a month for the both of them. I tried everything else first, diet, supplements, etc. before I started forking over the money.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• i don't believe in giving children drugs what i would do is go to a vitamin store they will have certain vitamins just for adhd.
    crjmommy04

Answer by crjmommy04 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Why are you jumping straight to medication? No doc worth his salt should prescribe meds right off the bat...You should first try appropriate behavioral therapy & counseling, along with appropriate accomodations & supports in school (your child is entitled to a 504 Plan), then consider the meds possibly, but even then, next I would try dietary changes & nutritional support and then, lastly, the meds. My son responded well to diet changes & supplements and he does not take any ADHD meds.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• It may depend on what type of doctor is prescribing the medication? I would get a specific reason from the insurance company why it's not covered...and go from there.

Now..I don't know what you have already tried, so this may be in your past...but my son is currently seeing a psychologist. He is suspect for Asperger's and/or ADHD (leaning more toward ADHD) We don't have an official diagnosis yet, but we have had some luck with behavioral modification/management. Keep in mind...my boy is only 4 (well, 5 in two weeks..better get used to that! LOL)

Diet changes do work for some...but not all. Supplements do work for some...but not for all. Worth trying? That is your decision. About these, I have no knowledge.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like some ideas about the behavior modification/management....it's not geared specifically for my son and I don't mind sharing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have a 30 yr old nephew that was on ADHD meds during his childhood and he was turned into a zombie from them... He hasn't been on anything for years and he's still zoned out. Before them he was just an active kid, with tons of energy and my Aunt was too lazy to work with him so she put him on drugs so she wouldn't have to deal with him... It's sad when parents resort to meds because they are too lazy to be parents.....
    Anonymous

• sorry anon. but if your nephew is 30 yrs old & still "zoned out" he has some other kind of issue going on. And there are new improved medications in use today for ADHD that do not make kids into "zombies" as you put it. I know this for a FACT because my son takes Strattera. He acts like a normal everyday kid AND he can focus on his school work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• oh and really really unfair to label a parent "lazy" because their child benefits from some medical help! I am far from lazy because my child has to have help. I am VERY involved in his (and my other childrens) lives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Thank you so much to the above post. I have tried everything and I am not a lazy parent. My son is doing bad in school with grades and behavior. I am just trying to find the answer to help him succeed. I don't like the idea of him being on medication, but if that is what helps him I will do anything to help him. All I was trying to do was find out what other moms in this situation are doing,and what they have experienced. Instead I got mostly critisim for trying to do some research.
    yukonmomof2

Answer by yukonmomof2 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• I think its a good that you cant get the medication. Medication treats symptoms but not underlying causes.

Most children are just active - thats just that.

I would look into diet as well as more natural treatments. Here is a link about diet that I found:

http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/ADHD.htm
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2009