Does age affect the chances of getting pregnant?

I have 2 questions about 2 of my friends.

First friend keeps telling me that after a guy hits 25 he starts losing his sprem at a faster rate, becoming less fertile. I don't know if I believe this because there are guys that are pretty old getting girls pregnant. My friend is newly married and wants a baby badly so I think she is hoping that these facts will get her husband to want a baby now (they are both 21). But is there any truth to it?

My second friend is pregnant but thinks she's having another miscarriage (this would be the second miscarriage from her soon to be husband). She is 34 and he is 23. At her age is it more likely to have problems with getting and staying pregnant? It took them 8 months of trying to get this one, and she is 8 weeks along and started to spot blood. She already has 2 boys from a previous marriage.

apple_bottom

Asked by apple_bottom at 11:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• The first thing that make your body hard to get pregnant is STRESS. They are stressing about getting pregnant, staying pregnant , etc.
    There are physical things that could affect everyone, if it has been a year of trying , then go to a dr.
    If she is miscarrying then she needs to go to her dr. and get a physical. All visits could help. And don't stress.
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 11:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I don't know if age affects a mans fertility, but it most definitely effects a woman's. My dr. told me that a woman's chance of conceiving drops over 50% once she reaches 27. And the older you are when you get pregnant the higher chance of complications. Women have all the eggs they are going to have at birth, so think it about it, I'm 31. That means my eggs are 31 yrs. old. And stress is definitely a major cause in difficulty conceiving and carrying. Your friend should go see a Dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I've heard a woman's fertility peaks at 25 then goes down as she gets older.
    A mans age should not matter, normally in men, it's a problem with sperm count.
    I would recommend for your friend to see a doctor .
    I conceived my first within 2 weeks when I was 23 now at 25
    I'm doing it one last time.
    kaidensmommy1

Answer by kaidensmommy1 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Age does affect a man's fertility but not how she thinks. The cells that produce sperm age, just like a woman's eggs fo. Sperm from older men are more likely to have physical problems which keep them from reaching the egg and they are more likely to have genetic problems that can cause the pregnancy to miscarry. But there are millions of sperm and it only takes one.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• And yes, stress play a large role. For years, doctors said it didn't. But newer studies are showing what we knew all along - stress plays a large role. I tried to get pregnant for over 3 years. I even had fertility treatments. We decided to take a break and see just how much money we wanted to spend - it's senseless to go bankrupt before the baby even arrives. During that time I made peace with the possiblity of never having a child. I was pregnant the next month with no outside help. Simple stress.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I think age affects the chances of becoming pregnant. When i was pregnant with my youngest, I was 39 going on 40. My doctor which was a lady told me that I am not old but my eggs are older. I was surprised and then I laughed and my husband laughed also. But when you think about it, Don't we always say, "Men can have kids anytime, but we have to stop at a certain time". (which is good because we are the ones that are caring the babies).
    scmom888

Answer by scmom888 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 12, 2009