Has anyone else felt exhausted, run down, sick and pms-like all the time since having their baby?

I've had it something isn't right and I'm seeing my GP on Saturday. I feel like I'm pms-sing all the time! I don't sleep through the night, I wake up at least eight times, I've got no energy for anything. Could it be hormone imbalance? What if the Dr. just says it's normal? Trust me, this isn't normal at all. Anyone? I'm in my thirties and apparently have all the symptoms of a perimenopausal woman. Yikes!

Ems629

Asked by Ems629 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Health

• Absoulutely. I had really really bad hypothyroidism after my second child. I was loosing my hair and everything. How is your hair (everywhere?) I lost my eyebrows and most of my hair everywhere.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Falling out , turning dark, texture has changed, and I'm still heavy(for me). How were you diagnosed? What did you say to the Dr?
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 11:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I actually went to my doctor and he examined me and said nothing was wrong. I went out of there and just started bawling in the waiting room. A nurse practicioner that I had seen during my pregnancy saw me and took me into her office. She listened to me and ordered some blood tests. I went to my mothers house (3 hours away) and they called my house, dh was home and they told him they had to get a hold of me immediatly as I needed meds ASAP. He gave them mom's number and they called me and said that they would find a local pharmacy and call me back with location and prescription information. I was in a thyroid crisis.
    I needed help getting up and I could not do ANYTHING. I would cry and think myself a failure. Just months before while pregnant, I could do whatever I wanted! Seek help and let them know you cannot do your daily activities. NORMAL activities.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• This sounds mighty familiar. I'm concerned my Dr. is going to throw me under the bus as well, though she's a she... so we'll see. I've thought for the past 15 months I was just over tired from nursing, then getting back to not getting up in the middle of the night was hard, that I was going nuts being home with the baby all the time, that my dh was a monster(not true) for not understanding the extent of fatigue, I've been like a cat stuck on a screen door! Crazed irrational thinking I'm a lazy failure while I watch other women bouncing around with their babies. I feel like I'm missing out on this very brief point of her life. What does thyroid crisis mean and how are you now? Did meds work? Thankyou for being so forthright. I've been very much alone in this and you are helping!
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• YES! This is exactly the symptoms of hormonal imbalance and it goes hand in hand with thyroid too so it could be one or both. I haven't felt right since my 4th child was born and hes almost 3! I go up and down like a roller coaster, my hair is falling out, I am cold all the time, I am anemic, I am very very tired, I sleep 13 hours a night and then other times, I am awake all night. The list could go on and on. I used to take compounded natural hormones, but now I am not. I am seeing the gyn soon.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Well, I'll start by suggesting my Dr. look into thyroid and hormone imbalances. 3 yrs! No way. i won't last that long in this state. Please, if you are feeling like I have, go see your Doctor. Already, I feel I've waited too long. Why did you stop taking the hormones? Did they work, or stop working?

.
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Yes, the thyroid supplement has changed my life. What I didn't know was that when some women have babies, their thyroid just can't keep up or it wasn't strong to begin with or there is some other issue going on which interferes with conversion of T4 thyroid hormone. Anyway...I also did not know that this could kill me. It wasn't explained that I could NEVER stop taking thyroid hormone. What happens sometimes is that your body stops making the hormone completely or slows down even more after you start supplementing. Sometimes the supplements kick your thyroid into working again tho, so it is important to monitor.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Mine, my thyroid quit working almost completely. Apparently you can "burn out" a gland. If it is called upon to produce more than it is capable of for a long period of time. I developed problems with my heart, chest pain, shortness of breath, loss of hair, severe joint pain to the point of having my three year old help me out of bed physically. I felt like I was a failure. I thought, women do this every day. What the hell is wrong with me? I thought I was dying. Quite literally. And I was. What I didn't know was that it would have just gotten worse. I don't know why I went to the doctor that day. I avoided doctors as much as possible thinking that they would just think I was a wimp.
    I am going to post a journal on this as it is turning into a book. :) Does this help any?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• Thank you and yes, it does. Why on earth is this not common knowledge, and how have women been coping with this without help for so long? I've been thinking the same thing. "Moms feel like this every day??? I must really be a lazy mess... I included that I'd experienced weird chest pain not unlike pneumonia symptoms and the dr. rolled her eyes. I guess it is a litany of symptoms, but why does the response for a Mom coming in with these symptoms have to be complete dismissal? That I'm just not "coping well" with motherhood. Grrr.
    Ems629

Answer by Ems629 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 10, 2009