EBay's prayer and spell ban

Ebay has officially banned the sale of prayers, spells, charms, tarot card readings, etc, saying it's the only way to prevent people from being scammed. As it stands now, they aren't banning physical items - meaning you can sell prayer beads, but you can't sell a blessing.

This doesn't impact me directly - in my faith, the materials used are not supposed to be purchased anyway. The idea is that you should create them yourself so they mean something to you. However, there are a lot of other faiths that are equipment intensive and pretty much rely on outside providers (I don't think I know of anyone who has made their own rosary or hand written a copy of their bible). The concern is that this is a first step to preventing the sale of physical items that are spiritual in nature, and that the ban is going to extend to PayPal, meaning people who provide both physical things and offer card readings or prayers, will be banned from doing business via PayPal.

Is this really something that should be regulated? If you are willing to pay someone to pray for you or chant over a picture of your lost loved ones, isn't that your own choice? If there is no tangible result, how is that any different than someone praying on their own for free?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2012 in Religious Debate

• I am bumping this for now .... don't have time to fully answer.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• It's private industry not the govt so regulating what they allow to sell is an opinion open to Ebay until someone with money challenges them in court. I'm sure some wise person will get the ACLU to look into it. It does seem to violate the freedom of religion thing the U.S. is supposed to have going on. I can see the problem since Ebay is about making money off of material things not services. This should be interesting to watch and see what happens

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• OOPS, I meant an OPTION open to Ebay, sorry for the mistake

• I do not see this as something that should be regulated. If a person is willing to pay for something or a service it should be up to them to do it. I do not see what they are really helping in banning something like this, even if it helps a person's peace of mind that is a help.

This is ridiculous, I say this across the board in relation too all religions/practices affiliated. 

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• i see it as personal responsibility, surface-thought. a scam is a scam, no matter what it is or who paid how much for whatever result they desired. we think negatively of those who send their hard-earned dollars to televangelists for similar 'prayers' or needs. we say, ''well, they're stupid for sending the money.''...i can see where the same would be true for this, even those who believe in such things as prayers or spells,etc. would have a tendency to shake their heads, right? i know i do.
    as far as regulation on ebay (or other entities where money changes hands for 'goods')..i believe its buyer-beware, and ebay is just trying to cover their ass in possible/probable lawsuits by disgruntled/unsatisfied customers.
    how would this ban effect items of religious art? where is the sticky line drawn? idk.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• My personal feeling is that you should not sell prayers, blessings readings, etc.
    That is JMO

I can where ebay or a like company might feel they are in the business of selling a tangible product. The buyer has no way to know if the prayer was said and neither does the company. It is a prime place for a scam.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• These are services with no way to prove that they were or were not performed. It's just smart business to avoid guaranteeing that type of service.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Seems like it would be ripe for scamming. I'm betting eBay anticipated/was getting a lot of complaints about prayers and spells not working and people demanding refunds. Too many scam reports could hurt eBay's reputation as a whole.

I see no problem with eBay setting rules like this to protect the consumer.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• Agree with much of what has already been said.

If Ebay wants to ban the sale of prayers, spells, charms, readings then that is their right. As long as there are people willing to pay for such things there will be people who will sell it (obviously). Such individuals are in search of confirmation from "someone". I just pray that at some point it will be revealed that prayer is free, thanks to Christ and that no one else even needs to be involved. (I mention prayer specifically because that is what my faith involves.)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2012

• I don't see why it should be regulated, but Ebay is well within it's rights to do so. They made the rule so let's see how well they can enforce it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2012