too early?

is it too early to start my dd with crayons and coloring books? she is 14 months old and completely bored with ALL of her toys. She barely plays with them just tries to follow me all day

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well at this age they still tend to put things in their lil mouths so if you decide to let her play with crayons be prepared to watch her every second.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• nothing is to early. it all makes it help her in the end for school.
    CrzyHome

Answer by CrzyHome at 11:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• No, it's the perfect time. They are non-toxic so it won't hurt if she eats a little. She'll have fun and can start to learn fine-motor skills and her colors. I would suggest getting crayola brand. They color better. Also, get the washable ones.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I just tried this with my son - he is 14 months - and he sorta gets it, but doesn't really do much at the moment apart from tip all the crayons out and throw them lol.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Not at all! Go with the large washable crayons and don't worry about coloring books - use paper. Scrap paper, new paper, any paper. ;) My kids both loved to scribble from a very early age. As soon as they could grip the crayon they were off. For their 1st birthdays they both got a ream of paper and crayons. Today they're aged 4 and 6 - and they still love their 'art box.'
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Why not get those really big crayons - they are like round almost...then you don't have to worry about her choking. My daughter wasn't big on toys but she liked educational videos and making noise - we bought a bunch of instruments for her age group and she liked those. You could strip her down and give her finger paints too....just make sure everything is easily wiped down....
    stannseniors

Answer by stannseniors at 12:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Not at all just make sure you are right there next to her ..and don't take your eyes off of her. My dd has been coloring since about a year.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2009